Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Battery Charging

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
So I got my battery installed and changed the 4 flat plug to a seven pin plug. I ran a wire from the 7 pin aux power to the battery to charge while driving. My question is while it is charging does the negative terminal need to be grounded to the trailer?
yes.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
yes.
Thanks. So a simple wire from the neg. to the frame okay
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
Thanks. So a simple wire from the neg. to the frame okay
Thats how I did mine and it has been working great.

EDIT: Make sure that your ground on the trailer going to the plug is sufficient.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thats how I did mine and it has been working great.

EDIT: Make sure that your ground on the trailer going to the plug is sufficient.
The ground goes from the 7 pin to the trailer frame. I was gonna use the same frame location for the battery ground
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #25

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I don't know your wire gauge so I can't be certain, but as long as its at least 18ga then you should be fine, since thats whats on the truck.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #26
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
A DC Voltage Loss calculator can be found at http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Voltage_Calc.htm. To partly recharge your house battery at 77 degrees F, you will need a minimum of 13.2 VDC to overcome the internal resistance of the battery for a wet 12-volt Standard or Low Maintenance Deep Cycle battery or 14.4 VDC to fully charge it. If you use a AGM or Gel Cell VRLA battery, you will need 14.8 VDC to fully charge it.

For additional information on charging, please see Sections 5 and 9 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
TJ'sTOYCOMA

Quote:
I don't know your wire gauge so I can't be certain, but as long as its at least 18ga then you should be fine, since thats whats on the truck.
The wire from the 7 pin to the battery is 12 gauge.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #28
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Pictures of your setup? I'm currently trying to do the same thing with my trailer. Are you running other items off the battery in the trailer. If so, How are you wiring them to the battery and what materials are you using to make it safe?