Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

can a 1st gen V6 tow a 5000 pound trailer through the grape vine?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
can a 1st gen V6 tow a 5000 pound trailer through the grape vine?

So my friend has a tracked Prelude and he's looking for a DD to tow it to track days. Naturally, I recommended a Tacoma, but his main concern is if it will be able to tow his Prelude, trailer, tools, etc (he estimated it all to be around 5000 pounds) I know the 4.0 in the 2nd gens should be able to do it no problem, but he's looking for something relatively cheap, so I figured a double cab 1st gen V6 would be perfect. Does anyone know if a 1st gen V6 would be able to tow the 5000 pounds up and down the hills in the grapevine?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it will be able to but i wouldnt get a 1st gen tacoma for towing. They are rated max 7000 towing and thats with the tow package. Tacomas were never designed for towing. If he wants to tow his car up and down hills without any problems, tell him to get a 2nd gen Tacoma or half ton Chevy/Dodge/Ford
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Kaos is on a distinguished road
Kaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Yes it will be able to but i wouldnt get a 1st gen tacoma for towing. They are rated max 7000 towing and thats with the tow package. Tacomas were never designed for towing. If he wants to tow his car up and down hills without any problems, tell him to get a 2nd gen Tacoma or half ton Chevy/Dodge/Ford
But the 2nd gen taco is only rated for 6,500. Is that not less than the 7,000 you stated for the 1st gen?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
1989supraturbo is on a distinguished road

Air Force: MSE Op CFB Comox
1989supraturbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
But the 2nd gen taco is only rated for 6,500. Is that not less than the 7,000 you stated for the 1st gen?
Smaller truck and smaller engine, the 1st gen is 5000lbs max.
Usually trucks get better over time not worse, hence 2nd gen 6500lbs.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i towed ~3.5-4k pounds up and over the siskiyous and grants pass on the way home from northern california with my 2000 V6. as a one-time deal it was fine, but if i was planning on doing this more than once or on a regular basis, i would definitely look into something with more power (i.e. 5.7L tundra or a diesel)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
You're right. I was thinking of the 2nd gen.

1st gen is 5,000 max
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
you probably will ruin a transmission trying to pull something that large over that grade. You would be getting passed by semis too, haha