1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Correct way to tow 4x4 auto 1st Gen?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by pyroskier, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mar 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Ok, this may sound like a stupid question that I should know, but I just want to clear up the confusion.

Say that someone with an Auto transmission 4x4 1st gen needed a tow across town to a repair shop or something, and are getting towed by another vehicle with a tow strap.

Would all that person need to do is put the 4wd shifting knob into neutral and just get towed? Someone mentioned disconnecting the drive shaft, is that only for long distances? What about the main shifter (P-R-N-D-H-L)? Does that need to be in neutral too?

Don't hate, I just want to know for 100% so I don't screw something up in the future. :confused: :anonymous:

2. Mar 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

169.254.255.201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
    I saw this and I looked into towing illegally parked cars a bit.. (Somewhat related to you)
    As I understand it, towing anything that is 4x4 is a bit more difficult.
    For our trucks, (Rear wheel) you would want to place your rear wheels on dollies, and just hook up. That would be applicable for a tow truck lifting up the front. I'm not sure about using a tow strap, because you might not want your front wheels to be on the ground during turns because of the danger of snapping your steering components or something.
    Someone else will chime in. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top