Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Help Needed with 7 Pin Adaptor

Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Nola TSS has a spectacular aura aboutNola TSS has a spectacular aura about

Nola TSS's Tacoma Gallery
Help Needed with 7 Pin Adaptor

I bought an adaptor from Auto Zone and I could not get the adaptor to insert into the plug all the way. I returned it thinking it was the wrong one. So I went to the Toyota dealership and bought an OEM part and I'm having the same problem. I can insert the adaptor into the plug and it feels like everything is lining up but when I apply pressure to make a snug fit nothing happens. The adaptor is very loose so I know it is not in the plug correctly.
For those of you who have the adaptor, was it difficult to get a snug fit? I don't want to push too hard and damage the plug.
Here's the part# from Toyota.
PT791-89040.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have used several different brand of adapters on my truck and none of them went on very tightly....it was more of a snug fit but they all had plastic lips on them for when the cover comes back down, it locks the adapter into place so it doesnt vibrate its way out.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

The way this one fits as did the other one I returned is still loose. It's like the flat pins are barely inserted into the adaptor. If that's the way it's supposed to fit then I can't see that the adaptor would stay in the plug.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola TSS View Post
The way this one fits as did the other one I returned is still loose. It's like the flat pins are barely inserted into the adaptor. If that's the way it's supposed to fit then I can't see that the adaptor would stay in the plug.
Does it have that plastic lip I talked about to keep it into place? Have you tested it and checked to see if its all functional?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

Yes. i'll try it again.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
7pin is universal and should fit no matter what. Are any of the pins bent on the truck part, or the plug? Or is it blocked by a small rock? Most importantly, have you tried spinning it around to make sure you're matching up the pins right?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

It can only go in one way. Going give it another try.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Yes. i'll try it again.
Yeah like I said mine was only snug and you could still move the adapter around a little bit when it was installed but every time I towed they never had any issues.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

Went back and I now see how it connects. It does appear to connect properly and when the flap is closed, it does hold the adaptor in place.
Not the same type of design I had on my F150 10 yrs ago.
But it does appear to work.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Crawfish on me!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Went back and I now see how it connects. It does appear to connect properly and when the flap is closed, it does hold the adaptor in place.
Not the same type of design I had on my F150 10 yrs ago.
But it does appear to work.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Crawfish on me!
Good to hear!!