Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

towing a trailer with a 6 speed pointers anyone?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Alex (Emilenhoweveryouspellhis lastname)
emelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
emelianenkov's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive me, I have been misinformed....

FJ ftw then!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a lot with the Tacoma. I have two trailers. 5x8 enclosed loaded with tools roughly 2500lbs and open 7x10 trailer. The most I ever towed was 5000lbs loaded in the 7x10 open trailer which has no brakes and 3500lbs axle lol

Anything past 55mph was scary, bad trailer sway. Braking was a nightmare and i had to almost floor it to get up to speed on highway.

I also towed 24foot open trailer from phoenix to California, constant gear hunting from 4-D

Honestly I wish i would have gotten f250 diesel... I would never want to tow 5000lbs trailer with the Tacoma long distance.

Said that, take it slow, pack an extra clutch and leave yourself extra room to brake.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #23
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
I tow a lot with the Tacoma. I have two trailers. 5x8 enclosed loaded with tools roughly 2500lbs and open 7x10 trailer. The most I ever towed was 5000lbs loaded in the 7x10 open trailer which has no brakes and 3500lbs axle lol

Anything past 55mph was scary, bad trailer sway. Braking was a nightmare and i had to almost floor it to get up to speed on highway.

I also towed 24foot open trailer from phoenix to California, constant gear hunting from 4-D

Honestly I wish i would have gotten f250 diesel... I would never want to tow 5000lbs trailer with the Tacoma long distance.

Said that, take it slow, pack an extra clutch and leave yourself extra room to brake.
You don't have a 6sp taco but you are commenting on a 6sp taco towing question...?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Set the electric brake to do most of the stopping-you are at the limits of the truck. you do not want to be pushed thru a red light or into the auto in front of you--Keep a DISTANCE GREATER than you think is necessary.
If the electric brake has a manual option--USE it. Calibrate the electric brake on an agressive setting.
KEEP EXTRA DISTANCE --Test your stopping power-BEFORE you need it.
I towed a 5k boat w/my toyota--It was hard on the truck.
BOUGHT a DIESEL 2500!
If you are going to do any major towing-- Recomend a BIGGER vehicle. Short trips-TACOMA IS FINE.
SAFER
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
faller is on a distinguished road

faller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
2nd gen tacos dont have 2lo or the option to mod it for 2lo
It has been done. I plan on doing it. Reverse gear in the 6spd is waaaay to high. You will kill your clutch backing a heavy trailer up even on flat ground.

Mod:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-lo-mod-2.html
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #26
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so I don't have a manual, but I do have an Off Road Package w/ a tow package and I do tow a travel trailer on a fairly regular basis during the summer..... From the simple numbers, it seems you have too much trailer. To say the least, it is going to be a handful. @ 4000+ dry, you haven't accounted for people, propane, water, tools you take with you, etc..... You are going to be at or exceeding your towing capacity quickly if you pack camping gear/dishes/cooking items/propane..... This probably isn't helping you too much, but I have been there, done that... Had a dealership that tried to sell me a 30 footer that was the same weight..... It would have been a nightmare! All this probably isn't helping you too much, as it seems you already have made the purchase, but a couple pointers to help you out:

1). If you have a quality weight distribution kit installed properly (you have a good one) there is no need for a 3rd leaf spring/airbags.... My tounge weight is near/at/sightly over 500 pounds and I have had zero issues towing. I also have my two kids in the back seat, both don't complain.

2). As people have said, don't downshift with your truck, as brakes are cheaper than transmissions (exceptions for situations where brake-fade is an issue, with a brake controler, you shouldn't really have this issue unless you are going down Rocky Mountain passes)

3). CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES- Dealers made a huge deal out of senless nitrogen filled tires, the number one cause of RV crashes is tire failure.

4). Invest in a tranny cooler ASAP if you plan on towing on any sort of a regular basis. Additionally, this would also be a good time to change your differental/T-Case fluids if you haven't already done so.

5). Invest in towing mirrors. Some people on this fourm go all out, drill in their trucks for towing mirrors, etc.... I bought a 20 dollar pair and couldn't be happier.

6). After you arrive at your destination, I always let my truck idle for 5-10 minutes to cool down and let the tranny fluid circulate..... A good time is when you are disconnecting your trailer.

7). Check you brakes. You will be using them more, you will go through them quicker. If in doubt, change them.

8). Dump your tanks and empty your water supply prior to leaving if possible. As stated before, you are going to be at or exceeding your towing capacity, there is no need carrying water with you (extra wear and tear on the truck, more money in gas)

If you got any more Q's, feel free to PM me!
Perry
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #27
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by faller View Post
It has been done. I plan on doing it. Reverse gear in the 6spd is waaaay to high. You will kill your clutch backing a heavy trailer up even on flat ground.

Mod:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-lo-mod-2.html
Hah! Such fail on my end. Looks like I even replied in that thread lol
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
Tiny Member
andyt11 is on a distinguished road
andyt11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelianenkov View Post
For that I would do the 2wd low range mod. Get started in 2lo and switch to 2hi on the fly if possible
Reasonably sure that would be a catastrophy for your transfer case wouldn't it? Shrapnel all over the place.