Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

towing a trailer with a 6 speed pointers anyone?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
xrricky is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
xrricky's Tacoma Gallery

hello i recently bought a new 24' travel trailer that is 44900lbs dry, i have the electric trailer brake hooked up also the weight distribution bars, i bought it all from the dealer where i purchased the trailer and they gave me all that stuff that is made for the proper weight and set the truck up (with the bars) to tow this trailer.
i never towed it yet im picking it up this Tuesday,

my question is, i have the 05 taco trd off road with the Manuel trans, do you guys have any tips or upgrade suggestions (and not upgrade to tundra joke) that i need or should do??
is there any differences/pros/cons/ to using a manuel trans truck to tow??
the tongue weight is 390lbs do i/should i put a extra leaf in the back??
auto trans have trans coolers is there nothing for manuel trans??
any help will be greatly appreciated
thank you
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
well a tundra wouldnt help you any way, get a peterbuilt.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrricky View Post
hello i recently bought a new 24' travel trailer that is 44900lbs dry
Is the TT weight 4490lbs?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I tow one that is about 3,000 loaded to me that's about max for a comfortable tow. 4490# empty is about the same weight as the truck add propane,water, gear etc. you got a hand full. It will pull it but-- if you don't have the 4 leaf spring pack you'll need it maybe air bags the WD hitch will help. The trans does not have a cooler if you have the tow package it does have an engine oil cooler if you don't have the package your tow is rated only 3500#
Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
respirator for the clutch smell

no cooler for a manual trans because the gear oil just lubricates the internals of the transmission (clutch takes the abuse)

I tow a 3200lb car on an open two axle trailer with my 4 cylinder access cab, with the stock 2 leaf spring I was sagging something awful but now with the dakars it barely squaks. All I can advise is be easy on the clutch.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Take it easy. no fast starts, or stops.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Alex (Emilenhoweveryouspellhis lastname)
emelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
emelianenkov's Tacoma Gallery

I would recommend not downshifting when you want to slow down, just use your brakes. That sounds like a HEAVY trailer. No need to put so much strain on your engine and trans. Downshifting with just the truck is fine, but with a big trailer, I'd avoid it
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
22 ton trailer? Not with a tacoma...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
emelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shedemelianenkov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
Yeah I know right? I was hoping that was a typo...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelianenkov View Post
Yeah I know right? I was hoping that was a typo...
Wait for it...

Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake72 View Post
well a tundra wouldnt help you any way, get a peterbuilt.

Quote:
Ahhh, don't listen to these naysayers. I do it every day.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Pixels
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
MOλΩN λABE

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
Ahhh, don't listen to these naysayers. I do it every day.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
xrricky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
I tow one that is about 3,000 loaded to me that's about max for a comfortable tow. 4490# empty is about the same weight as the truck add propane,water, gear etc. you got a hand full. It will pull it but-- if you don't have the 4 leaf spring pack you'll need it maybe air bags the WD hitch will help. The trans does not have a cooler if you have the tow package it does have an engine oil cooler if you don't have the package your tow is rated only 3500#
It has 3 leafs And I bought a New Reese pro WD
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
xrricky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2 ton
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #16
xrricky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelianenkov View Post
I would recommend not downshifting when you want to slow down, just use your brakes. That sounds like a HEAVY trailer. No need to put so much strain on your engine and trans. Downshifting with just the truck is fine, but with a big trailer, I'd avoid it
Thank you this helps a lot. I never thought of it because I Down shift normally with no load. And the trailer has electric breaks and the truck has a New electric break module installed so I won't need to Down shift. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with my 09 6sp is a pain in the ass...clutch will def smell with a heavy trailer...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
Towing with my 09 6sp is a pain in the ass...clutch will def smell with a heavy trailer...
For that I would do the 2wd low range mod. Get started in 2lo and switch to 2hi on the fly if possible
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen tacos dont have 2lo or the option to mod it for 2lo
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
2nd gen tacos dont have 2lo or the option to mod it for 2lo
Was wondering what he was talking about, lol