Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Can a 2013 Tacoma v6 tow a 20-22ft boat?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Toyota74 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas Munoz
Toyota74's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Can a 2013 Tacoma v6 tow a 20-22ft boat?

hey Tacoma world I just joined the forum and I am in the process of buying a new truck and was wondering if a 2013 Tacoma v6 could pull a 20-22ft hewes craft sea runner that weighs approximately 3000-3500 pounds when fully loaded with fuel and gear plus my family in the truck. I will probably be towing it every other weekend during summer to Detroit lake here in salem Oregon and the last bit is a pretty good sized hill to Detroit lake. and I will probably be towing every weekend to the Willamette and Columbia river during salmon season in spring and fall. so can it handle it or should I go for the tundra I will get it if it will be better I just wanted a truck with the best fuel economy. please let me know thanks Tacoma world.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it can. It won't like any steep hills, and keep it in 4th gear. If you are going to be towing it all the time, I would get the Tundy, but if it is just once a month or something, the Taco will be just fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
thanks! please more replies
Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
look up the specs online. With the tow package you can tow 6500 pounds. You will be fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
I would get a full size, just because you towing so much. Of course the tacoma can take it but idk... i would rather have a larger truck for that much towing.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
It would do fine. Just get some trailer brakes. Why not get the Tundra? Just the MPG? Not that big a difference if that's what your concerned about. Especially towing a lot...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
for towing it twice a month I think you'll be fine. Just don't be that guy that drives 80mph on the freeway at max capacity with your whole family in your truck please.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
thanks guys and yes it is just the mpg that would stop me from getting the tundra but I love the room and safety the tundra has the Tacoma v6 gets 19 city 21 hwy and the tundra gets 15 city 17hwy not much but I guess the Tacoma would get about the same since the Tacoma will be working harder than tundra so I guess the tundra. which engine should I get in the tundra if I were to get it 4.0l,4.6l, or the big 5.7l. thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
jayrman is on a distinguished road
jayrman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota74 View Post
hey Tacoma world I just joined the forum and I am in the process of buying a new truck and was wondering if a 2013 Tacoma v6 could pull a 20-22ft hewes craft sea runner that weighs approximately 3000-3500 pounds when fully loaded with fuel and gear plus my family in the truck. I will probably be towing it every other weekend during summer to Detroit lake here in salem Oregon and the last bit is a pretty good sized hill to Detroit lake. and I will probably be towing every weekend to the Willamette and Columbia river during salmon season in spring and fall. so can it handle it or should I go for the tundra I will get it if it will be better I just wanted a truck with the best fuel economy. please let me know thanks Tacoma world.
i put a fifth wheel hitch in my 2006 tacoma and pull a 21.5 1992 fifth wheel no prob pulls it better than my f150 v8 ever did
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
thanks guys and yes it is just the mpg that would stop me from getting the tundra but I love the room and safety the tundra has the Tacoma v6 gets 19 city 21 hwy and the tundra gets 15 city 17hwy not much but I guess the Tacoma would get about the same since the Tacoma will be working harder than tundra so I guess the tundra. which engine should I get in the tundra if I were to get it 4.0l,4.6l, or the big 5.7l. thanks
Get the 5.7!! Def if your going with a V8 get the 5.7 I always thoug it was silly to make 2 different V8's virtually the same gas mileage with more power... That's a no brainer
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
duh what was I thinking of course the 5.7l. thanks guys. when do you guys think Toyota will remodel the tundra. just to know if I should get one now or wait because I have a feeling they will soon since it hasn't been since 2007.thanks guys. since you guys are truck guys you probably wont have much of an opinion but ill ask anyways I am going to repower my sea runner and was which outboard I should get Honda bf150 or Evinrude E-tec 150
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the 5.7 but there's nothing wrong with the 4.6. Sure it's a "no brainer" if you have the extra cash. Everyone else offers 2 V8's excluding the dinosaur Titan.

To your boat question I'd look at the Suzuki DF150 as well. And while it will probably cost the most the Yamaha F150 is extremely reliable. The Etec will have more torque with being a 2 stroke though. Id definite go Etec if you're down to those 2 for sure.

What do you have now?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
I am down to the Honda and etec because those are the only brands I have to choose from due to dealers here unless I take my boat to Portland when it needs to be serviced and I would hate that if I got a 4 stroke right now I have a mercury 4 stroke that I half to take to Portland every stinkin time it needs to get serviced so I will probably go etec due to the dealer 5mi from my house and no service for 3yr or 300hr. ps sorry for changing the subject especially on a truck forum
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. There are boat people here too, there's even a boating and fishing section.

And given your situation then Etec for sure. In addition to the no maintenance for 3/300 I also believe they have no break In period either.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
that is correct,no break in the only thing is having to buy oil for it but that isn't really that big of a deal to me I am also going to get the evinrude etec 15 HO (high output)kicker motor, ps I did not realize that there was a boating and fishing section too since just joined the forum thanks I will check it out.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #16
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
duh what was I thinking of course the 5.7l. thanks guys. when do you guys think Toyota will remodel the tundra. just to know if I should get one now or wait because I have a feeling they will soon since it hasn't been since 2007.thanks guys. since you guys are truck guys you probably wont have much of an opinion but ill ask anyways I am going to repower my sea runner and was which outboard I should get Honda bf150 or Evinrude E-tec 150
They just did, for 2014. Search it on here "2014 Tundra" you may not like what you see though... Haha lot of guys not fans
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #17
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You will get considerably more MPG towing that much with the Tundra than a taco. I get 10 MPG at most pulling a 4k lb trailer on the highway
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
They just did, for 2014. Search it on here "2014 Tundra" you may not like what you see though... Haha lot of guys not fans
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
How big is your family? If you don't mind me asking. If its four or under the Taco will do just fine, but over four tundra all the way. Also if you want the taco purely for mpg reasons go for the tundra. You will never be satisfied with the taco. I would also second the 5.7l if price isn't a problem. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
thanks for all the help guys. and my family is four people but sometime i will have 4-5 people in the truck during salmon season. so i will probably get the tundra. i just looked at some pics of it i like this years tundra better than the 2014 but i think i will eventually warm up to its looks. if not i will get the ford f150 with the 5.0l or 3.5l ecoboost engine. what is your guys opinion on the f150?