Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Parking dad's 26ft trailer. 788lbs tongue weight

Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Parking dad's 26ft trailer. 788lbs tongue weight

I haven't done this. I really don't want to. I was curious of what you guys thought? I know the limits of the tacoma as far as tongue and towing weight. All this would be would be backing my parents 26 footer in to the barn, there are a lot of fences surrounding the opening to the barn so it would be ideal for a smaller rig (my truck) to park it. The 1 ton crew cab long bed diesel they have can't make the sharp turn into the barn.
My question is should I even attempt this ? I don't want to brake my rig. Unloaded the trailer is 5525lbs. I would be backing up this trailer maybe 400 ft total.
On a side note, my dad has been thinking about fabing an attachment with a ball so he could have the John Deere park it. I just don't know if the hydraulics could lift it?
Any advice would be great .

Thanks again,

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled a Kubota L39 and a 20 foot PJ 14k gvw on the 06 a little bit. Just up and down the street (now that was some tongue weight). I would do it, if I had to. But then again Im out of warranty. We had a trailer ball attachment on the L39 and im putting one on the new(old) tractor too. Very handy unless you have a Kubota BX size tractor which wont lift 700lbs. What kind of Deere tractor?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine for that short of a distance
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ thanks for the input guys. I'm not worried I can't pull it but just the tongue weight. Almost 800 lbs seems crazy!?

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco206 View Post
I pulled a Kubota L39 and a 20 foot PJ 14k gvw on the 06 a little bit. Just up and down the street (now that was some tongue weight). I would do it, if I had to. But then again Im out of warranty. We had a trailer ball attachment on the L39 and im putting one on the new(old) tractor too. Very handy unless you have a Kubota BX size tractor which wont lift 700lbs. What kind of Deere tractor?
Ill have to ask him not sure? It's a medium duty tractor for sure.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
itll move it just fine, i made it 900 miles round trip with about 800 pounds tounge weight, plus all the gear iny truck pulling around 4500 pounds, your truck wont even care it hooked up to it!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Alright so I'm going to park this bitch. I'm most nervous cause I have the b110 shocks and haven't modified my bumpstops yet. ( the shock will bottom out before the dakars do) could have a shock blow out.
That's my only real bitch. I'm going to go it anyway. Pops needs his trailer parked, and cause of his recent knee surgery he can't do it.
On another note I was thinking of using 4 low for the reduction and less stress on the tacoma. What do you guys think?

Thanks again,

Brett
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
what surface will you be moving the trailer on? i'd try 2-lo, but i'm not sure if theres a mod for it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
what surface will you be moving the trailer on? i'd try 2-lo, but i'm not sure if theres a mod for it.
I'm with ya, damn new rigs! No manual hubs like my 85' where I could choose that option. Damn new trucks. If I could get manual hubs I would but so far there is no aftermarket support for that on a 2nd gen.
Flat level loose gravel is what I'll be moving the trailer on.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
I'm with ya, damn new rigs! No manual hubs like my 85' where I could choose that option. Damn new trucks. If I could get manual hubs I would but so far there is no aftermarket support for that on a 2nd gen.
Flat level loose gravel is what I'll be moving the trailer on.

Thanks,

Brett
it sounds like 4-lo might work, if it starts binding put it back in 2, binding would do more damage than the clutches slipping in the tranny.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #12

Ya I'm just still worried about the shocks.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #13

Quote:
it sounds like 4-lo might work, if it starts binding put it back in 2, binding would do more damage than the clutches slipping in the tranny.
What do you mean about clutches slipping in the tranny? I don't know crap about automatics.

Brett
Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
What do you mean about clutches slipping in the tranny? I don't know crap about automatics.

Brett
i don't know alot about transmissions, but the way i understand it is when you put a manual in gear and the the clutch out, the engine and transmission are "locked" meaning any RPM change at the engine will be felt at the tires.

Automatics use a bunch of clutches in the transmission instead of just one (or 2 depending on if the manual is a twin clutch system) when you have a auto in gear, the clutches are constantly slipping so the engine doesn't die while in gear.

when you give the car some throttle the clutches start slipping less as they don't need to slip as much to keep the engine from dying.
basically the clutches will keep slipping until you hit the right RPM, when you hit "the" RPM the torque converter locks up and acts like a manual transmission.

i wasn't able to really explain it that well, i can tomorrow if you want, it's 1:30 so i'm not thinking 100%
anyway, hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

That makes sence
Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
looks good.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #19

Thanks man! Yea, 5525 lbs dry weight and a 788 lbs tongue was heavy.
The tacoma handled it like a champ! I would not drive this down the road.
( I will not )

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #20

Quote:
looks good.

If you had my rig would you pull something like that to go camp??? I know I'd have to get a brake box Etc etc etc.
If I was into pulling this trailer I'd have air bags for sure.

Thanks,

Brett