Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What tire pressure while towing?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Boltsfaninmo is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Boltsfaninmo's Tacoma Gallery
What tire pressure while towing?

I checked the owners manual and couldn't find anything. My 4x4 DCSB tire pressure is normally 29psi. Should I add more air while towing? I'll be towing around 4500 to 5000 lbs.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Check the tire pamphlet in with the owners manual. Add some air to the rear, its a hit n miss game of what the tire maker says vs the tongue weight + bed cargo. If your tire goes to 40 psi for example, try 32-36 loaded.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
03stepsidetaco is on a distinguished road
Name: David
03stepsidetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo View Post
I checked the owners manual and couldn't find anything. My 4x4 DCSB tire pressure is normally 29psi. Should I add more air while towing? I'll be towing around 4500 to 5000 lbs.

with this much I'd max out the tires. look on the sidewalls it will say
max load @max psi. go with that.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldn't run no less than 32 or so all the time. I run 34 in front and 32 in rear most of time. ill be towing my boat alot now so 34 in rear also w/P-metric. That much weight you probaly need to look at a LT tire. Maybe a three quarter ton. Thats alot of weight.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
I picked up my toy hauler yesterday. I'll be using it this Friday. The max pressure on my OEM tires is 51 psi. I think I'll bump them from the 29 to 40 and see how it rides.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Quote:
I picked up my toy hauler yesterday. I'll be using it this Friday. The max pressure on my OEM tires is 51 psi. I think I'll bump them from the 29 to 40 and see how it rides.
with "p" tires you'll want to max the psi out with 5k trailer load.
like someone said you very well may need to move up to "LT" tires to get the stiffer sidewall.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03stepsidetaco View Post
with "p" tires you'll want to max the psi out with 5k trailer load.
like someone said you very well may need to move up to "LT" tires to get the stiffer sidewall.
Man I really hope I don't have to replace my perfectly good tires just to tow a few times a year. I really like the way the stock tires ride.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man I really hope I don't have to replace my perfectly good tires just to tow a few times a year. I really like the way the stock tires ride.
Just check the load rating of your tires
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMan View Post
Just check the load rating of your tires
I did and they are 110 which equates to like 2300 #'s or something like that. The good news is that is at the highest end of the scale per Tirerack's chart.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did and they are 110 which equates to like 2300 #'s or something like that. The good news is that is at the highest end of the scale per Tirerack's chart.
Keep your rear-axle weight less than your tire rating and be happy with what you have for now.

Also, check your tire pressure AFTER you've hooked up. The extra weight will increase the pressure and it still has to stay below the max sidewall pressure
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMan View Post
Keep your rear-axle weight less than your tire rating and be happy with what you have for now.

Also, check your tire pressure AFTER you've hooked up. The extra weight will increase the pressure and it still has to stay below the max sidewall pressure
Thanks, I picked up my trailer tonight from E-trailer who installed the brake controller an W.D. hitch. I drove home from E-trailer with the 29#'s I usually have in the tires. Felt really mushy and at 45mph and above I started to get trailer sway. It freaked me out enough that I exited the freeway and took surface streets home. After I got home I put about 40#'s in the rear and 37#'s in the front. I went for a short drive and could tell the truck handled better. I still got sway at speeds above 45 mph, so guess I'll need to install an anti sway bar to see how that helps. I'm sure a load in the rear of the toy hauler would help too.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Quote:
no, just saying that if you end up at 51 psi and still don't like the "mush"
that would be one thing to look at.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
I opted for a new truck. At the end of the day my Taco can't handle the tongue weight on my toy hauler. Airing up the tires did help, but the Taco just can' hang.