Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Show us what you tow.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I didn't originally have plans to tow with the tacoma at all. THere's this offroad trip that's 3.5hours away that I'm tempted to go to. The jeep weighs 4500lbs and we'd have to rent a trailer. Just not sure whether it'd be safer/easier to borrow my mother-in-laws V8 Grand Cherokee for the job (we used to own the Grand & towed with it before). Whow knows...I know the tacoma could do it - it'd be a interesting driving experience for sure (controllability standpoint).
If you have a brake controller and there isn't a bunch of mountains in between then I'd just use the Tacoma and take it leisurely(no more than 55-60mph tops on a good road). My Tacoma tows that backhoe better than my '95 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 ever did. I've been quite impressed with how well the Tacoma hauls overall.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #23
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
If you have a brake controller and there isn't a bunch of mountains in between then I'd just use the Tacoma and take it leisurely(no more than 55-60mph tops on a good road). My Tacoma tows that backhoe better than my '95 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 ever did. I've been quite impressed with how well the Tacoma hauls overall.
Still have the Prodigy somewhere in the garage....
With the Auto and no overdrive, are you using mostly 4th gear during non-highway areas? Or 4th all the time?
How's it shift? Does it 'hunt' for gears?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #24
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Still have the Prodigy somewhere in the garage....
With the Auto and no overdrive, are you using mostly 4th gear during non-highway areas? Or 4th all the time?
How's it shift? Does it 'hunt' for gears?
Sorry, Can't give you auto tranny feedback janster, I'm a 6 speed. With my 6 speed I run mostly 5th highway, 4th on small hills, and 3rd for larger grades. I think keep the auto out of OD and it would do fine though.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Sorry, Can't give you auto tranny feedback janster, I'm a 6 speed. With my 6 speed I run mostly 5th highway, 4th on small hills, and 3rd for larger grades. I think keep the auto out of OD and it would do fine though.
Thanks
The Auto doesn't have OD.....
So I'm gonna assume 5th gear would be considered OD - and why I asked.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #26
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays

Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
Mustang Paul will become famous soon enoughMustang Paul will become famous soon enough

Mustang Paul's Tacoma Gallery
Is that an international truck?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #28
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
nope. 1962 Studebaker
Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #29
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks
The Auto doesn't have OD.....
So I'm gonna assume 5th gear would be considered OD - and why I asked.
Hi,

I have a 2008 TRD Sport DC automatic and I towed a small travel trailer through the Rockies in Colorado and the canyons of Utah last year. The trailer is rated 2000 lbs unloaded. That's the shipping weight and does not account for options like the awning, air conditioner, spare tire, propane tank etc. With options, camp gear and luggage, I'm thinking it's around 3000 lbs. The trailer is 16 ft long. It's not a pop-up, so it is quite tall, and pushes a lot of wind. It only has a single axle. It towed with ease. I towed mainly in 5th gear and put it down to 4th whenever I noticed it hunting, usually going against strong head winds, or steep hills. I had no problems even when going over 80 mph to pass, although I wouldn't go any faster, and definitely not for a long time. Going 70 mph was no problem whatsoever. I even passed some minivans going up a 8% grade at 11000 ft altitude. I have a Reese friction anti-sway bar, and a brake controller. The Tacoma is a great hauler for its size.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #30
Mustang Paul will become famous soon enoughMustang Paul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post
nope. 1962 Studebaker
That's a great looking truck! Probably more metal in one fender than in most new cars. . . .
Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #31
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
That Mustang is gorgeous!!! GT or no?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Paul View Post
That's a great looking truck! Probably more metal in one fender than in most new cars. . . .
haha you got that right! i thought it'd be to heavy for the Taco, but it performed like a champ. only used 1/4 tank to go about 120 miles and left 4th the whole time.

got a '64 Studebaker Daytona for sale if anyone is interested
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
That Mustang is gorgeous!!! GT or no?
Thanks, Tacoholic! It is a GT--Ivy Green, 289/4V automatic. We've had it for over 20 years. Was my daily driver until about a month ago. . .
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #34
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Paul View Post
Thanks, Tacoholic! It is a GT--Ivy Green, 289/4V automatic. We've had it for over 20 years. Was my daily driver until about a month ago. . .
It's beautiful!!! ...how much you want for it? lol
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
It's beautiful!!! ...how much you want for it? lol
She's part of the family. Drove it starting in High School! Insurance and gas mileage (12 mpg, 9 with the AC on) forced me to retire it to weekend driving. Plus, I sold my 93 Toyota Truck and got the spiffy new 08 last May.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #36
Marazzito will become famous soon enough

Marazzito's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito
Here is what I tow pretty regularly...

Ready to Camp trailer weights in at about 6,200 lbs. My Tacoma hasn't let me down once and I tow rather often. It is surpringly stable and with the prodigy braking is suffecient. Sure it isn't a 5.7 Tundra, but being that my truck is my dailey diver it is perfect for my needs.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #39
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marazzito View Post

Ready to Camp trailer weights in at about 6,200 lbs. My Tacoma hasn't let me down once and I tow rather often. It is surpringly stable and with the prodigy braking is suffecient. Sure it isn't a 5.7 Tundra, but being that my truck is my dailey diver it is perfect for my needs.
Awesome rig! Always loved those FJ40's...
You have an Auto?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marazzito View Post

Man I would LOVE to have that FJ! That looks awesome! Nice work.

Products Discussed in this Thread