Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Show us what you tow.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
BBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura about

BBQ BOY's Tacoma Gallery
Show us what you tow.

Always having full size trucks I am interested in seeing what these things can pull behind them.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
There's a "Tacomas being used for work" thread on here but........

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

6500 +/- a little
Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
haha right there at the max. Ever tried towing more than 6500?
To be honest, that backhoe and trailer probably is a bit over. Tractor is supposed to be 3700lbs+ the loader and backhoe, and then the rear tires on it are water filled. The flatbed trailer is 18' and aluminum though so that saves weight over steel, probably still around 1000lbs there though. So I'd guess the whole thing is about 7K maybe. I'd like to pull into a weigh station with it to find out what that setup really does weigh. I haul it short distances, 20 miles or less.

I ended up with about 7200lbs of hydraulic dump trailer and topsoil behind it at one time. I told the guy loading not to put more than 4000 in topsoil in the trailer and I got 4700lbs when I weighed out I only went about 10 miles with it and just drove it easy, did it fine for a short and seldom trip like that.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
lukebz is on a distinguished road

lukebz's Tacoma Gallery
awesome

awesome, nice to see people using their trucks as they should..i've got a 68 FJ40 i plan on having to tow with my Taco..any ideas on the weight of one? i should know but don't..prob try and go alum trailer too when the time comes.

though Las Vegas to Tahoe is a loooong way!
Attached Thumbnails
Show us what you tow.-img_0138crop2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebz View Post
awesome, nice to see people using their trucks as they should..i've got a 68 FJ40 i plan on having to tow with my Taco..any ideas on the weight of one? i should know but don't..prob try and go alum trailer too when the time comes.

though Las Vegas to Tahoe is a loooong way!
just googled it and looks like an FJ40 is around 3300lbs. Even with a steel flatbed you're fine even for long distances, well, as long as you have the factory tow package and don't drive it like you stole it
Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
just googled it and looks like an FJ40 is around 3300lbs. Even with a steel flatbed you're fine even for long distances, well, as long as you have the factory tow package and don't drive it like you stole it
I was curious about this, as I have inherited a tractor and bush hog about the size of the one that your hauling, without the front bucket. I wanted to try and start using it for extra cash. Do you forsee any problems?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Man I wish I had an FJ40.. I love those things.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery

.....before rear leaf spring TSB. Don't have any after pics yet.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
This is my setup and is going to be repeated on our next camping-fishing trip (this weekend).

Old 02-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
I was curious about this, as I have inherited a tractor and bush hog about the size of the one that your hauling, without the front bucket. I wanted to try and start using it for extra cash. Do you forsee any problems?
Probably not, as long as you have a brake controller and a decent trailer it should be ok. Just don't floor it everywhere, respect your truck and it should do what you ask. Curious, what make/model tractor.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
THIS:
Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Dude....

You're not supposed to TOW that. They are meant to be DRIVEN!!!!!!!
Well, I tow this so I understand where he's coming from.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Is that 6500lbs total?
How far do you drive with it?
Yeah total, and not far. 20 miles is the max for sure. I only tow it once in a while if I end up with a job where I can make a little extra money with it. Trailer is almuinum with brakes on both axles so stopping with that much is no big deal either.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
Mustang Paul will become famous soon enoughMustang Paul will become famous soon enough

Mustang Paul's Tacoma Gallery
Talking I tow my toys!

Mostly, I tow this:

and this:

The Mustang is a driver, but when something is 40+ years old, it needs to be towed at least once a year.

--P
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Yeah total, and not far. 20 miles is the max for sure. I only tow it once in a while if I end up with a job where I can make a little extra money with it. Trailer is almuinum with brakes on both axles so stopping with that much is no big deal either.
I didn't originally have plans to tow with the tacoma at all. THere's this offroad trip that's 3.5hours away that I'm tempted to go to. The jeep weighs 4500lbs and we'd have to rent a trailer. Just not sure whether it'd be safer/easier to borrow my mother-in-laws V8 Grand Cherokee for the job (we used to own the Grand & towed with it before). Whow knows...I know the tacoma could do it - it'd be a interesting driving experience for sure (controllability standpoint).