Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing an open 5x9 uhaul trailler

Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Towing an open 5x9 uhaul trailler

I am driving to Houston from San Antonio @ 200 miles to pick up a BBQ pit. Any issues driving to Houston with an empty Uhaul trailer like this?
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=RT
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
empty trailers bounce around a little bit more than loaded trailers, from my experience, but its not that noticeable. Its just like towing a loaded trailer, dont go above 55, smooth turns and lane changes, watch the road, and pay attention to what your trailer is doing...
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply trooper12. This will be the second time I have ever towed something. 1st in the Tacoma so I just was not sure about going that far with an empty trailer.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Easy deal man. I pull a 7x12 regularly(usually loaded with Quads) and at normal operating speeds. I agree with Trooper12 about 55mph on the uhaul though, tires on their trailers are low grade. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
yeah I ain't gonna rush, just take my time with it. pit will be @ 600 lbs so I figure I should be fine once it's loaded on the trailer.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
just got back from my trip to Houston. no problems at all I was worried driving that far with an empty trailer no sway no bounce. When I got to Houston had the pit loaded actual weight was @800#. Driving back home I could barely feel any weight back there again no sway no bounce. The truck handled flawlessly. On the way up empty trailer drove in D the whole way. On the way back drove in 4, I do like the feel of 4 vs. D with the load. I would not hesitate to tow again.....just not that pit anywhere too heavy to get out the backyard. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
just got back from my trip to Houston. no problems at all I was worried driving that far with an empty trailer no sway no bounce. When I got to Houston had the pit loaded actual weight was @800#. Driving back home I could barely feel any weight back there again no sway no bounce. The truck handled flawlessly. On the way up empty trailer drove in D the whole way. On the way back drove in 4, I do like the feel of 4 vs. D with the load. I would not hesitate to tow again.....just not that pit anywhere too heavy to get out the backyard. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
Sweet deal man! Congrats on the new pit
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
So I made it home no problems at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Towing an open 5x9 uhaul trailler-uploadfromtaptalk1367463014869.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
So I made it home no problems at all.
how heavy was it?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
The pit is quarter inch steel 24x40. It took 3 of us big boys to lift 4 inches over a 2x4 to get it in the back yard I think @600-800 lbs
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Just like folks said, no problemo

Shitty mileage I imagine but what do you expect.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #12

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
Just like folks said, no problemo

Shitty mileage I imagine but what do you expect.
This
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
how about some info on that badass grill!!? pics.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
We were towing a friend's double-axle loaded up. I'm guessing between 4,000-5,000lbs. Including a few mountain passes, I probably got 10MPG best case scenario. Funny thing is that I can tow my 16' boat which is much lighter and the mileage is better, but still pretty close.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #15

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
how about some info on that badass grill!!? pics.
Here are a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Towing an open 5x9 uhaul trailler-uploadfromtaptalk1367774477422.jpg   Towing an open 5x9 uhaul trailler-uploadfromtaptalk1367774488251.jpg   Towing an open 5x9 uhaul trailler-uploadfromtaptalk1367774498914.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
that grill is badass..wish i live closer to texas to pick one up.

those things have gotten super expensive.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #17

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
LOVE THE PIT One thing I FORGOT TO MENTION was that I COULD not back up with the trailer took me about 4 tries to get it where I needed it on the drive way. My hand was at the bottom of the wheel seemed like I would get it going in the right direction then I'd almost end up at a funky angle before I Would have to straighten out and start over???What was I doing wrong?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
JohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JohnWJ's Tacoma Gallery
you should have had your hands at 9 and 2 and when you reverse you have to turn the wheel to the right to turn left
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWJ View Post
you should have had your hands at 9 and 2 and when you reverse you have to turn the wheel to the right to turn left
easier with just 1 hand, turn the wheel to the trouble spot.