Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How much dirt in the 6' bed with Add-A-Leaf?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
How much dirt in the 6' bed with Add-A-Leaf?

A friend of mine asked if he can borrow my truck to haul some dirt. He said something about 'blah blah blah yards of dirt blah blah' I was kinda paying attention but not really. I said maybe.

I have 5100s in the back with an AAL from Wheeler's. Its a 2008 with a 6' bed and factory tow package.

The transfer of the dirt would within a 15 mile radius.

i have no idea
A) how much dirt you can put in there (weight and 'yards')
B) how much dirt he needs
C) how much dirt weighs
Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I would imagine dirt is a bit heavier, but I have hauled cubic yards of mulch several times without any (noticeable) sag. I am a stock PreRunner with no AAL, no TSB work, nothing, just stock.

I would think you will be okay, but I was going to pick up some dirt soon, so let me know how it goes.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The AAL does not change what the truck is rated to haul. With soil, you can easily get the truck overweight in a hurry (as opposed to mulch which is significantly lighter). A yard of topsoil weighs in about 2,000 lbs but can vary greatly depending on how wet it is. Your truck but I would never let someone borrow my truck for heavy hauling. I'd volunteer to help them and be the driver to make sure my truck wasn't going to get beat up.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Not what you were asking about, but I would go and watch the place like a hawk. My Chevy truck got about $1000 in damage from some clown loading it wrong, hit the inside of the rail and bent it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Not what you were asking about, but I would go and watch the place like a hawk. My Chevy truck got about $1000 in damage from some clown loading it wrong, hit the inside of the rail and bent it.
Good point, inexperienced operators (if being loaded by machine) can really mess up your ride. One guy I worked with dropped a yard into a customer's pickup from about 4' over the bed. Back end crashed down on the bump stops hard, the guy was pissed but fortunately nothing broke (at the time). Load by hand if possible or make sure the operator knows what they're doing. Some clown with a 2 yard bucket just throwing material into your truck bed could leave you looking for new axle seals.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it man, like a poster said, a yard of topsoil is going to be well beyond the capacity of the truck to haul it, half yard at most. A yard of nice new topsoil is gonna run about a ton, if it's wet clay you're talkin a ton and a quarter, in a half-ton truck. I am the undisputed king of heavy loading a Tacoma, I have hauled 3500lbs in mine, with 2 inch aal's, 5100's and Firestone airbags. That was me in my truck, i'd be dammed if i'd let someone else do that to my truck. Tell him to go rent a truck.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Don't do it man, like a poster said, a yard of topsoil is going to be well beyond the capacity of the truck to haul it, half yard at most. A yard of nice new topsoil is gonna run about a ton, if it's wet clay you're talkin a ton and a quarter, in a half-ton truck. I am the undisputed king of heavy loading a Tacoma, I have hauled 3500lbs in mine, with 2 inch aal's, 5100's and Firestone airbags. That was me in my truck, i'd be dammed if i'd let someone else do that to my truck. Tell him to go rent a truck.
Wow that is crazy! I wouldn't have thought it would weigh that much, not that I didn't trust you, but I Googled it because I figured somewhere out there was an actual measurement. I also am shocked at how much more than mulch it is, I knew it was a bit more, but didn't think over twice as much. I guess I won't be getting any dirt.

OP, don't forget moisture, this time of year the dirt is going to be even heavier.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Good point, inexperienced operators (if being loaded by machine) can really mess up your ride. One guy I worked with dropped a yard into a customer's pickup from about 4' over the bed. Back end crashed down on the bump stops hard, the guy was pissed but fortunately nothing broke (at the time). Load by hand if possible or make sure the operator knows what they're doing. Some clown with a 2 yard bucket just throwing material into your truck bed could leave you looking for new axle seals.

Mine was crushed stone and at least the guy didn't drop it from too high..the moron didn't raise the scoop high enough, literally pulled my truck a few inches to the left. The owner of the place said "oh well it's a truck that's what happens to them". A-hole..the last laugh was mine when I sued him and he didn't show up so he got to pay the repair, court costs, plus pre-judgment interest for almost a year.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
"oh well it's a truck that's what happens to them"
Not sure I would be able to refrain from slapping the stupid out of him.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Not sure I would be able to refrain from slapping the stupid out of him.
Fortunately he removed himself from my presence first..said he was going inside and if I want $50 for my trouble follow him or I can leave. He who laughs last..
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the heads up folks. i'll tell him to go to home depot and get one of their trucks.

I wasnt worried about lending it. He isnt a clown and treats my stuff like its his own and vice versa. Ive borrow his lexus and he's borrowed my truck in the past.

But now that I know dirt is as heavy as it is im gonna tell him no way.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan88 View Post
thanks for the heads up folks. i'll tell him to go to home depot and get one of their trucks.

I wasnt worried about lending it. He isnt a clown and treats my stuff like its his own and vice versa. Ive borrow his lexus and he's borrowed my truck in the past.

But now that I know dirt is as heavy as it is im gonna tell him no way.
Good choice. My heaviest load was a 1/2 yard of crushed rock and that was unnerving even with the Firestone air bags.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
03stepsidetaco is on a distinguished road
Name: David
03stepsidetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I am the undisputed king of heavy loading a Tacoma, I have hauled 3500lbs in mine, .

wow, I've only been to 1200 with my taco. now my 83 thats not stock
I've run over the scales at over 2K. so 3500, wow.

and let him rent a truck for sure.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
Tell your friend to go to Home depot and rent their truck for $20