Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Advice on Disconnecting the drive shaft

Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
katepace is on a distinguished road
katepace's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on Disconnecting the drive shaft

I'm going to be towing my 01 4x4 Taco on a tow dolly from MT to NC. I know I need to disconnect the drive shaft before it can be safely towed. Any advice or suggestions on how to do this most efficiently?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Why not put the transfer case in neutral?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Unbolt it at the rear differential and secure it very, very, very well to the frame (make sure the slip joint can't be pulled apart). If that's not possible, then you need to unbolt it at both ends. Mark the flanges so you put it back the same way.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
03stepsidetaco is on a distinguished road
Name: David
03stepsidetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Why not put the transfer case in neutral?

X2