Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

First Tow w/ New Truck

Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
First Tow w/ New Truck

Towed my 22' Boston Whaler Outrage for the first time with my new truck. I had towed the boat before w/ a friends Taco, it seemed like mine struggled just a little bit more than his. He is running 265/70/17 and I have 265/75/16...I didn't think it would make much of a difference but I guess the slightly larger diameter is enough to change the gearing a bit. Mostly it was fine, but there were two pretty long and steep grades that I had to slow down to about 45-50mph.

The truck needs air bags bad. Want to get them asap but need to make sure they will work with the lift I've purchased (TX Baja suspension components which is basically the TSB in the back).

Edit: Photo shows truck with stock OR suspension/3 leaf pack. Still trying to get my hands on the Baja lift components.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
You got some squat in the rear any idea on the tounge weight?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Not sure. I would guess 3-400 lbs.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
really bad squatting...might want to look into airbags
He already said that?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
LOL
Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Boltsfaninmo is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Boltsfaninmo's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the scales and weigh. If you don't you have no clue where you stand. My truck didn't squat that much with 800#'s TW. You need a WDH and weigh the truck and boat to see where you stand.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
I should get around to doing that, but I really don't think the tongue weight is that high. Of course I could be wrong too.

All the weight on the boat is center/back. The fuel tank is behind the console and the engine is obviously in the stern.

I've towed the boat with my friends Taco behind mine on this trailer and a different trailer and it had the same squat. Both 3 leafs. Just standing in the bed or tailgate by myself (205lbs) makes it sag some.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
NorGATaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
NorGATaco's Tacoma Gallery
You said you had three leafs which is not the TSB. The TSB is the four leaf packs. My truck sags like this with 500# in the back and I have the OR package (3 leafs).
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Sorry, let me clarify. I had ordered the suspension package but nothing is installed yet. The photo is stock OR suspension package with 3 leafs in the back.

My order was successfully pushed through, still waiting for confirmation that I can get the kit.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
How much drop do you have for the tongue? That trailer looks pretty level...maybe you're squatting soo bad because you don't have enough drop. You don't want to try to lift the trailer up too high...

...just a thought.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
How much drop do you have for the tongue? That trailer looks pretty level...maybe you're squatting soo bad because you don't have enough drop. You don't want to try to lift the trailer up too high...

...just a thought.
I had to reverse the hitch so instead of a drop it's a riser. With the hitch in the normal drop position the trailer was not level whatsoever.