Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Need Help: Towing Popup

Old 05-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
www.EvolvedFinance.com
ccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
ccoorreeyy's Tacoma Gallery
Question Need Help: Towing Popup

Hey TW.

Wifey and I are thinking about buying a popup trailer to camp with. I have found a popup that I'm seriously considering purchasing and I'm in need of some advise. I'm concerned that I may be pushing the limits of the truck. I have every intention of purchasing a new tacoma in the late fall of this year. For now, let's assume that I already have it, and it's a DCSB with 4wd (there's no other option I would want) with the factory tow package installed. Do you guys/gals think that I'll be able to safely tow this beast? I'm pretty sure that we'll get a ATV once we purchase this as well, so keep that in mind.

http://www.toppersrvs.com/inventory/...s-HW316TH.aspx

The model, in case the link breaks in the future, is a Rockwood High Wall Series HW316TH.

Thanks in advance peeps!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
gjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud of

Air Force: 1st Recon Squadron
Name: Jerry
gjacobsjr's Tacoma Gallery
im curious my self subd
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be fine towing that popup. Do yourself a favor and tow it with the tanks empty till you get there. No need hauling the extra weight of water when it's usually available where you camp at.

edit: This is assuming you are talking about the V6. Like Jim said below about the airbags also. The factory springs are crap for hauling anything.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
V6 auto should have no problems, WD hitch would be something to consider as well as RideRites.

Not to rain on your parade but having had a pop up, I'll never have one again, seems like every time we used it the canvas was wet when we folded up requiring set up again when we got home. Have you gone through the set up and fold up process?

Just my thoughts, yours may differ.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Should be fine with the tow package. Looks like the tongue could end up being pretty heavy depending on how big of an ATV you're going to get so a W/D hitch might be a nice addition.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
97widerider is on a distinguished road
97widerider's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoy my popup that I pull with my Toyota 02 4 cylinder. (1400 pds dry weight though). Yes if it gets rain you have to pop it up to dry out when you get home (if you couldn't at camp) but it is worth all the work. Never store long term when wet or even damp. Join popupportal.com if you are thinking about getting one. Great place to meet potential owners and experienced popup campers the same. Enjoy!