1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pulling a Boat

Discussion in 'Towing' started by beegee, May 22, 2013.

1. May 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    beegee

beegee [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've a 1998 4x4 4 cylinder Tacoma and am looking at buying a boat. The boat weighs weighs dry 2700 and with gas (27 galloons) thinking roughly 2900 pounds --- plus the trailer - so thinking it is bumping the 3500 pound limit.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this scenario? My main concern is putting the boat in the water and getting it out. It will just be local.

Thanks! beegee

2. May 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
  3. May 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    exploringcarolina

exploringcarolina Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North Carolina
    Originally wanted to tow a 3000lb (optimistic weight) boat/trailer with my 2003 2WD 4 cylinder Taco. In reality once the boat was loaded with gas & gear, it probably would be at or over 3500lbs. Another issue I was concerned with if I was involved in an accident and the boat was above my Taco tow limit, should I have had the rig on the road to start with.

As mentioned in the above link, also considered installing lowered ratio differential gears, too. Another concern was getting the boat out of the water with a 2WD with manual transmission & stock gear ratio.

In the end purchased a lighter 2000lb boat/trailer. My 2003 2WD Taco with stock gears handles this boat easily in all situations so far. I'm sure it could handle a heavier boat rig on the road, but unsure how it would handle pulling the heavier boat out of the water with 2WD. A 4WD would be a great advantage pulling a heavier boat out of the water.

If a boat was within my towing capacities and I had a 4WD, would try pulling this boat out of the water before making the purchase with the owner present or get with a friend that has the same size boat and try pulling his boat out of the water.

Just a thought!

Last edited: May 23, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top