1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rental Trailer, Weight distribution, and Helper springs info?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Janster, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When I bought the truck, I didn't originally plan on towing much (or anything) with it, but got the towing package anyway just in case. So now, I'm considering hauling the jeep for about 3.5 hours to do some wheeling at an offroad park I've never been to. The load will be close to or slightly over 6500lbs depending on the trailer. I plan on renting a car hauler locally.

Anyone have experience with renting a car hauler/trailer?
    The main rental places - Uhaul, Budget, Penske, etc have car haulers listed on their websites, just not a lot of info about them.
    Where have you rented from? How much did it run you?
    Was the trailer maintained, safe, & reliable?
    I worry about that kinda stuff, cuz I know the maintenance & upkeep involved and problems that can occur if not maintained.

Anyone haul 6500lbs and use a weight distribution hitch? This is something I'm totally clueless about - as I've never had to use one. Do these simply plug into your receiver? What's a good brand?
    Can you rent these things?

Anyone hauling 6500lb - do you have helper springs? I already have the TSB and not interested in spending a lot of money if I don't have to. If Helper springs are under $300 and you'd recommend them.....I'd do that.

I have plenty of towing experience - used to own my own trailer and towed with a couple different V8's and I already have a brake controller and all the straps,etc. I've never towed with a V6 or a tacoma and wanna make sure I make this trip as comfortable (no white knuckles) and as safe as possible. I have no doubt the tacoma can do it. It's the controllability I'm most concerned about.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top