Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Install hitch and wiring harness myself or pay someone to do?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
newfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud of

newfie8's Tacoma Gallery
Install hitch and wiring harness myself or pay someone to do?

I try to do all my own work on my truck, Do i really need to pay someone to install the hitch and wiring harness?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
top flight security
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
If you can turn a wrench and look at colors you can install it
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
another minion
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
If you work on your own truck, just do it yourself and save a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
Crazy easy to do.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
newfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud ofnewfie8 has much to be proud of

newfie8's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I think Yota1s comment sealed the deal. Ordering hitch and harness off ebay tonite!
Old 05-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie8 View Post
No idea about wiring harness's. will this be ok?
That's a 4flat, it'll do for most minor trailers. If you need a 7 pin there is a conversion to that, it incorporates the 4flat towards the harness conversion.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect harness from tail lights, connect to trailer harness, reconnect to tail light, and bolt them back in place. Done. All plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie8 View Post
No idea about wiring harness's. will this be ok?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota1 View Post
Disconnect harness from tail lights, connect to trailer harness, reconnect to tail light, and bolt them back in place. Done. All plug and play.
Ditto.

I was able to install my hitch by myself in about 30 minutes.
Bumper ended up maybe 1/4" off center (1/8" on each side)... no big deal. I'm the only one that knows it's not lined up.

The harness is a no-brainer as Yota said. Very simple.

The 7-wire harness is much more involved, because it not only has the rear lighting, but also trailer brake and +12v supplies.
Still not rocket science, but unless you need those functions, you'll likely be using a 4-flat adapter with it anyways.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
aj hank is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
aj hank's Tacoma Gallery
Yea get a buddy to help or a good jack and its easy and will only cost you a few beers
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a dead thread but figured better than starting a new one.

How is the curt holding up. I found it on amazon for 103.00 shipped. And I am wanting to put a hitch on the truck to tow the jet skis and camper.