Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Transmission Max Temp - Toyota Answers

Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
ttubb is on a distinguished road

Name: Terry
ttubb's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Max Temp - Toyota Answers

I recently asked Toyota for the number that turns on the A/T High Temp light on my 2013 V-6 Tacoma with the tow package. I have a Scan Gauge and I have seen as high as 230 on the Trans Temp so I was curious. Here is the answer:

Dear Terry Tubb,
Thank you for your follow-up email.
We apologize that the Owner's Manual does not include the temperature in which the automatic transmission oil light will illuminate in your 2013 Tacoma.
If you are towing with your vehicle, the automatic transmission oil temperature light may illuminate at 302 degrees. If the light comes on, it indicates that the auto transmission fluid temperature is too high. If the light flashes, it indicates a malfunction in the auto transmission system.

For further evaluation, information and assistance, we recommend you contact your local Toyota dealership.
Regards,

Kym Strong

Toyota Customer Experience

Now we know.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
300 plus sounds very high. The fluid should run around 165 normal driving. Towing up to 220. When you get above 220 you start shortening the life of the transmission fluid, some claim as much as by 50%.
Personally I would add another cooler that was big enough to keep it under 200 even under heavy towing conditions.
Here is an article you might want to look at. Even though this is not about a Toyota it does not change the facts about the fluid and the transmission.
http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter....notes/nn15.pdf

http://waynestransmissions.com/2010/...smission-life/
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
AFTaco will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 2W0
Name: Doug
AFTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info! I'm driving froma Alaska and was curious on when the light turns on. I got up to 240 in 20 degree weather. 300 def sounds high. I pulled over when I'm driving over 200 to let the tranny rest. Thanks again
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap..... 300!?
That's not a warning light, that's a $5K lightbulb!