1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RV Towing suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Towing' started by vicali, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    vicali

vicali [OP] Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    I was looking at Ride-rite Airbags as an upgrade before we get an RV(<5000lbs) this fall, but after getting more info and looking around I realized getting a new leaf pack may be a better option;

Here's what I have now; (These aren't even the TSB 4 leaf pack correct?);

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what are my options?

So far I'm thinking OME Dakars, Allpro Expos, or Custom packs made up..

I'll eventually be using an equalizer hitch for the trailer - is the lift of most packs going to screw with that?

2. Jun 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    I cant recommend a brand. I had the TSB done on my truck after one tow with my rig and it made a big difference in the way the truck towed. I think if you use any quality spring maker you will be happy with the results. The TSB raise the back of my truck 1" and made it ride like a truck.

3. Jun 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Personally I wouldn't tow anything with the stock 2 leaf, & the TSB though it improves things a little isn't great, I'd toss a leaf or 2 from an older Chevy or Ford truck, or better still for your application look for an older Dodge Dakota, they sat fairly low but carry a 3/4 ton rating, you'd get the increased load rate without any major lift (1"-1.5")

4. Jun 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    vicali

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    What I would like to find would be a spring pack with a higher rating and around1.5in lift. That would let me use my shocks, level out the truck, and be able to tow with out riding the bumpstops/breaking leafs..

I'm looking at Dakars because that is where I would like to end up eventually.. but what would it look like driving around with just the back up on Dakars; a la Top Fuel..?

5. Jun 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    I towed a 4000-lb trailer (including car) from San Diego to Auburn, CA with the stock OEM leaf springs and a EZ550 Helwig spring set (http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/medium-duty-helper-springs) We also carried an 1100-lb load to Maricopa, AZ in the bed of the truck. The nice thing about these springs is that they have no effect to the unladen ride but when you've loaded the truck/hooked up a trailer, then you'll notice the difference. The really nice part is that if you shop around, you can buy the Helwigs for less than $65-$70 and they are a DIY 15-min install.

Ray

PS: Photo of the truck and loaded trailer here (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/244036-our-fuel-mileage-while-towing.html) Also post #4 here (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/273027-helper-springs.html#post6762097)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  6. Jun 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    vicali

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Nice pic, interesting info..

Getting info on Wheelers 1.5 HD Progressive AAL, It looks like a slightly less hardcore setup than the Dakars and maybe a get-by solution until I can buy a kit and do front and back all at once.

7. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    You should have no issues with the suspension (that I know of). My 2010 TRD Off Road pulls a 29 foot, 4300 (dry) trailer with no issues (does work going up hills though). I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD, brake controller, and brakes on all 4 tires of my TT. My truck is perfectly level and I have found it actually drives better with the tandem axle as opposed to the single axle trailer I had before.

8. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    When I got my truck 3 years ago within 3 months I had the rear spring TSB done. Since then I usually tow a tandem tilt trailer 2,200 lbs. empty with a trailer brake controller. I load up on apples in wood crates and load the trailer with bin, both loaded and unload with apples. The bins are 4ft x 4ft x 3ft. I too was looking at changing the leaf pack out but wheelers said even though my pack is kinda flat it still still ok. I was looking at the wheelers HD leaf pack but they said unloaded it would raise the back up by over 3inces easily. Currently with a truck cap my springs are pretty flat unloaded, but I just bought the Firestone Ride Rite kit last week. It should come today. I figure when I'm loaded I'll use the bags to help with sag, and deflate when I don't. Better then having my rear up 3in all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top