Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

RV Towing suspension upgrade

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
RV Towing suspension upgrade

I was looking at Ride-rite Airbags as an upgrade before we get an RV(<5000lbs) this fall, but after getting more info and looking around I realized getting a new leaf pack may be a better option;

Here's what I have now; (These aren't even the TSB 4 leaf pack correct?);

So what are my options?

So far I'm thinking OME Dakars, Allpro Expos, or Custom packs made up..

I'll eventually be using an equalizer hitch for the trailer - is the lift of most packs going to screw with that?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
I cant recommend a brand. I had the TSB done on my truck after one tow with my rig and it made a big difference in the way the truck towed. I think if you use any quality spring maker you will be happy with the results. The TSB raise the back of my truck 1" and made it ride like a truck.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I wouldn't tow anything with the stock 2 leaf, & the TSB though it improves things a little isn't great, I'd toss a leaf or 2 from an older Chevy or Ford truck, or better still for your application look for an older Dodge Dakota, they sat fairly low but carry a 3/4 ton rating, you'd get the increased load rate without any major lift (1"-1.5")
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

vicali's Tacoma Gallery
What I would like to find would be a spring pack with a higher rating and around1.5in lift. That would let me use my shocks, level out the truck, and be able to tow with out riding the bumpstops/breaking leafs..

I'm looking at Dakars because that is where I would like to end up eventually.. but what would it look like driving around with just the back up on Dakars; a la Top Fuel..?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a 4000-lb trailer (including car) from San Diego to Auburn, CA with the stock OEM leaf springs and a EZ550 Helwig spring set (http://www.hellwigproducts.com/produ...helper-springs) We also carried an 1100-lb load to Maricopa, AZ in the bed of the truck. The nice thing about these springs is that they have no effect to the unladen ride but when you've loaded the truck/hooked up a trailer, then you'll notice the difference. The really nice part is that if you shop around, you can buy the Helwigs for less than $65-$70 and they are a DIY 15-min install.

Ray

PS: Photo of the truck and loaded trailer here (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...le-towing.html) Also post #4 here (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6762097)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tirekicker

vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
PS: Photo of the truck and loaded trailer here
Nice pic, interesting info..

Getting info on Wheelers 1.5 HD Progressive AAL, It looks like a slightly less hardcore setup than the Dakars and maybe a get-by solution until I can buy a kit and do front and back all at once.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
You should have no issues with the suspension (that I know of). My 2010 TRD Off Road pulls a 29 foot, 4300 (dry) trailer with no issues (does work going up hills though). I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD, brake controller, and brakes on all 4 tires of my TT. My truck is perfectly level and I have found it actually drives better with the tandem axle as opposed to the single axle trailer I had before.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
When I got my truck 3 years ago within 3 months I had the rear spring TSB done. Since then I usually tow a tandem tilt trailer 2,200 lbs. empty with a trailer brake controller. I load up on apples in wood crates and load the trailer with bin, both loaded and unload with apples. The bins are 4ft x 4ft x 3ft. I too was looking at changing the leaf pack out but wheelers said even though my pack is kinda flat it still still ok. I was looking at the wheelers HD leaf pack but they said unloaded it would raise the back up by over 3inces easily. Currently with a truck cap my springs are pretty flat unloaded, but I just bought the Firestone Ride Rite kit last week. It should come today. I figure when I'm loaded I'll use the bags to help with sag, and deflate when I don't. Better then having my rear up 3in all the time.