1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a 23 ft Jayco TT

Discussion in 'Towing' started by miketacoma53, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    miketacoma53

miketacoma53 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    4WD Tacoma TRD
    We have a 2010 Double Cab with TRD/Tow Package that has towed our former boat that I estimate with trailer and fuel to weigh about 3,600 lbs. Toyota towing specs are 6500 lbs max (including 650 lbs max tongue wt). Our Taco did a good job but only towed it 10 miles to launch and remove twice per year. No issues but knew something heavy was behind us. Sold our boat and now want to buy a 2014 Jayco Flight Swift TT Model 198RD (23 ft outside length). It is advertised at 3972 lbs unloaded as equipped (including 480 lbs tongue wt). Figuring inside cargo at 500 lbs and water/waste at 25% capacity (~300 lbs), we will be around 4800 lbs. We currently live in Michigan but have towed a larger TT in the past through the hills/mountains of Calif with another vehicle so know what to expect. Even at 5000 lbs (allowing for propane and battery) and still being under the factory limits, I'm still a bit leery about towing this rig long distances. Being retired this is finally an option. I've read many threads on this fine site with mixed messages so wanted to get from real experiences (good and bad) from members before departing with $16k. Thanks in advance!!

2. Jun 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    ttubb

ttubb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Tucson/Crested Butte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road 4WD
    I have a 2013 Dbl Cab, 4x4, TRD with tow package. I am towing an Airstream 22AS with an empty of 4200 and GW of 5000. I just towed it from Arkansas to Arizona then from Tucson to Taos to Crested Butte, Colorado (elev 9000 ft). I have a Scan Gauge and I monitor the A/T temps very closely. It was 106F when I went through ABQ last week and I have had no problems towing this rig. It does get slow (45-50) going up the longer hills.

I use 4th gear (Auto) and do not use D while towing. I did install an electric fan in front of the transmission cooler. Got it at Autozone and for now it is hot off the battery with a plug to disconnect. I will wire the switch later but I wanted to see how well it worked first. For this part of the country in summer I would say it is essential. The warmest temp was 230 and Toyota says the High Temp light comes on at 302 degrees.

The fan I used is from Autozone and is a Torqflo 733670 10inch electric cooling fan. Cost was $49.99 and I mounted it to the plastic grill in front of the transmission cooler. I removed the grill and drilled some holes (it is plastic) and just used zip ties to secure it in place.

22AS 2003.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  3. Jun 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    I'm towing a 4000lb. 22ft Hi-Lo with my 06 taco DC w/tow package and using a WDH with no problems. Except for a couple of things, the stock mirrors, I couldn't see around the trailer. The aftermarket strap-on mirrors vibrate to much. I installed Powervisionmirrors.com from a 98 chevy,these are 6-way electric with power extend/retract(added this switch). Modified to fit the taco and used the toyota mirror glass adjustment switch. 90% of the time it's a great set-up, but when I add firewood and other heavy gear I wish I had helper springs or air bags for the truck.

4. Jun 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    miketacoma53

miketacoma53 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    4WD Tacoma TRD
    Thanks everyone for the great inputs!

5. Jun 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    fallon

fallon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    '09 Access cab TRD sport (tow package). I have a 7'x14' double axle cargo trailer (about 2,000 lbs empty). Electric brakes on the trailer & I wired the controller into the pigtail that came with the truck. Both were purchased new when I got back to the states, then after a 500 mile break in on the truck I loaded up that trailer about 2/3 full of all of our crap that had been in storage and drive from Salem, OR to Colorado Springs, CO over the mountains. It towed pretty well. I bogged down a bit & couldn't keep up 75 all the way, but I don't think I really had to drop below 60 on any of the hills (by hills I mean Rocky Mountains).

The Taco's but drags a little, and the steering gets a hair light, but nothing problematic at all. I may end up getting a weight distributing hitch at some point to help that out a bit. I mostly drive in 4th when towing. You want to keep the number of shifts down, as the auto will hunt for the right gear in certain situations, which does it no good for it's lifespan.

The cargo trailer is a bit smaller than most all RV's, but with all the crap in it I imagine I was pulling around 6k lbs.

6. Jun 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The max towing specs arent figured with a travel trailer. I say its doable for shorter trips, like in state, but you have to take into account the wind drag, side winds, stopping safely and hills. Theres a reason why most trailers this big are being towed with 1/2 ton V8s and diesels. I would tow this trailer at a minimum with my V8 Tundra, and to be honest I would ask my dad to borrow his diesel. But since you already own the truck thats another story. Maybe find some way to take a test pull, or just get into a little smaller trailer that way you can take those longer trips.

7. Jun 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    People who say they do it and you'll be fine have obviously never towed a heavy trailer with a real tow rig that was designed exactly for larger hauls... and the amazing difference it makes. You can mod out the vehicle and half-ass yourself across the country on the edge of breakdown and danger, or be realistic and get a smaller trailer (or bigger truck). Go to some RV/travel trailer forums and ask around, you'll get an earful.

8. Jun 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:

If you say anything "bad" about a Tacoma on here, most owners go on the defensive and will leave PMs to you saying "haterade". This coming from a Toyota man, I have a Tundra and an unnamed 94 Toyota too. I agree with you, Buckoma, OP should check out RV forums, try dieselplace , which is a GM diesel forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there. And don't forget, this is the same forum that a member was asking if he would void the warranty on his Tacoma if he topped it off with 10w-30 because he was low on oil..:anonymous:

9. Jun 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Well I think part of the problem is the Tacoma, as fantastic a vehicle it is, is mid-sized... so it doesn't do the small vehicle stuff quite as well OR the big vehicle stuff quite as well. It has a pretty wide range of utility, but loses effectiveness as you move toward either extreme. It's versatility is a positive and a negative.

10. Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    I agree that the Tacoma is a fantastic vehicle. My issue is that if you plan to use it anywhere close to its rated capacity, you need to mod the rear suspension. It seems to me that Toyota should provide a more substantial rear suspension on the trucks that are sold with the factory towing package. Personally, I would be willing to pay a higher cost for the towing option just to achieve the current rated capacity.

11. Jun 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    It would be nice if Toyota offered a beefed up option for heavy towing. A long time ago my brother had a small Toyota pickup that was a 1 ton! But the reality is I doubt Toyota will make an option that only 5% of Tacoma buyers will appreciate, especially since serious towers of heavy weight prefer larger trucks... and that's what the Tundra is for.

Products Discussed in

To Top