Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Dolly Towing - DCSB 4x4 Tacoma & 26' Rental Truck

Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Not Mine
EasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to behold
Name: Steve
EasyDoesIt's Tacoma Gallery
Dolly Towing - DCSB 4x4 Tacoma & 26' Rental Truck

I will be moving cross country and need to tow my 2011 DCSB 4x4 Tacoma behind a 26' Rental Truck. The potential problem is the rental Dolly says that the max tire diameter is 27", my tires are stock but 31".

Has anyone done this before?

If the front end is strapped down tight and correctly will I have a problem because my tires are 4" (or 2" depending on your math) too tall?

Would it help to deflate the tires to 10-15lbs?

*The truck is too long for the rental car hauler
**I will disconnect and secure the rear drive shaft.

Tow Dolly Specs:
Load capacity 4,300 lbs.
Strap system 3-point tie-down
Maximum width of 74 in.
Minimum width of 42 in.
Maximum wheel base of 125 in
Tire diameter: 22 – 27 in.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
If the straps are long enough to reach over your tires I'd say you should be good. If you deflate the tires, they will work out of the straps sure as hell. Remember to leave the steering unlocked & check the tension frequently! Good luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
is this a 2 wheel dolly? I thought we weren't supposed to tow our trucks flat/2 wheels up? is it different for the off road package?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Just pull the rental truck with the Tacoma.

I have no idea, but I wish you luck with your move.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
is this a 2 wheel dolly? I thought we weren't supposed to tow our trucks flat/2 wheels up? is it different for the off road package?
He's unhooking the driveshaft
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
He's unhooking the driveshaft
This. It's not ideal, but due to the rental company rules...It's a bitch and a half to get a trailer to put a pickup on. If you remove the driver shaft it prevents the transmission from spinning which eliminates the possibility of damage.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Not Mine
EasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to beholdEasyDoesIt is a splendid one to behold
Name: Steve
EasyDoesIt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
If the straps are long enough to reach over your tires I'd say you should be good. If you deflate the tires, they will work out of the straps sure as hell. Remember to leave the steering unlocked & check the tension frequently! Good luck!
Thanks & good call on not airing out the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Make sure the straps and the retainer straps fit the tire properly.

I'm going to guess they will not...Close but not perfect and that can earn you a ticket at the min and cause a nasty accident at the max.
I thought about that, new straps that will fit are around $50.

Not that I want to but I do have an extra set of rims and could mount used donuts to if need be.

I'm just looking for safe options rather than driving it separately, spending an extra $500 on fuel, and another driver.

Keep'em coming guys.