Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Brake Controller Issue

Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
VolNut is just really niceVolNut is just really niceVolNut is just really niceVolNut is just really nice
Name: Rick
VolNut's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Controller Issue

I wired up a Reese Pilot in my 09 Tacoma using the factory supplied harness. Everything seems to be working fine but now when I tap the brake, the R on the dash gear indicator lights up. It also threw a code P0705.

I wired it as follows

Toyota factory harness to Reese

Black/red tracer to black
Red to Blue
brown to white
green/white tracer to red

Any ideas? Thanks for the help
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Do you mean you used the one that came in the glovebox with the truck? They have a 5th wire that's supposed to be grounded...
I bought a 4 wire plug & play that was color coded the same as the harness off the back of my Teknosha and have had 0 issues
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
VolNut is just really niceVolNut is just really niceVolNut is just really niceVolNut is just really nice
VolNut's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I used the harness out of the glove box. The wiring diagram that came with the controller said the green wire wasn't used. Brown from the Toyota harness goes to white on the controller and is labeled as the ground.

Now I'm having a separate issue. The display on the controller has a red dot when wired correctly, I have the dot. It will display a c when a trailer is connected. I'm no longer having the first issue but now I can't get the "c", like it's not connected and I don't have control of the trailer brakes. Tail lights and blinkers work on the trailer though. I'm stumped! Please help!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
About the only thing I can think of is maybe you're only getting a partial ground through the ball on the truck. Whenever mine sees no action for a while and has a scale of rust, I have lights & brakes that come and go. Hit it with some WD-40 and some steel wool or something and see what happens...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
VolNut's Tacoma Gallery
I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Is there a fuse somewhere I may be missing?

Thank you
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
There might be. I can't remember for sure... haven't needed to be in my fusebox for much!
What say you, crowd?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
VolNut's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, the pin in the middle of the 7 pin connector had some rust and dirt on it. Scraped it off and I'm connected.

Now, the display on the brake controller displays the voltage (0-12). If I turn it up past 5 volts the reverse R on the dash lights up dim and the backup camera turns on in the rearview mirror. The more voltage, the brighter the R and the quicker the camera turns on.

Not sure if I got a bad controller but I think I'll count this as a lesson learned and spring for a better controller.

Thanks for the input!