Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Is this camper to much for a tacoma

Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
tfeltz73 is on a distinguished road

tfeltz73's Tacoma Gallery
Is this camper to much for a tacoma

Me and my fiance are looking at a camper because now we have a baby and would like a/c for hot summer days. I'm trying to talk her into a pop up because it doesn't have the wind resistance and they are lighter but she wants this 21 foot travel trailer that weighs 3,624 lb empty. The dealer said most people add 800 lb of stuff in them to go camping. I would also be adding a WD hitch and trailer brake for the truck. The travel trailer is about the same price as the pop up i was looking at. We normally camp every other weekend and do anywhere from a 1 1/2 to 4 hour drive to camp sites and would like to go on a long trip once a year. I don't think a tacoma can handle it but would like to know peoples input.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I bet it would do just fine. I pull my #4500 truck + #1500 trailer all over. Does just fine.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
2013SET is on a distinguished road
2013SET's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look into a scamp 16ft. You are looking at well under 2k lbs dry and they hold their value forever. I have a 13' I pull around with my 2.7 liter with no problems.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Na that thing will be fine!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine. Just make sure to read the towing bible sticky

FWIW we tow a 15ft toy hauler that's 5200lb loaded. Went from DFW Texas to Moab and back without issue. I wouldn't tow heavier though
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeltz73 View Post
Me and my fiance are looking at a camper because now we have a baby and would like a/c for hot summer days. I'm trying to talk her into a pop up because it doesn't have the wind resistance and they are lighter but she wants this 21 foot travel trailer that weighs 3,624 lb empty. The dealer said most people add 800 lb of stuff in them to go camping. I would also be adding a WD hitch and trailer brake for the truck. The travel trailer is about the same price as the pop up i was looking at. We normally camp every other weekend and do anywhere from a 1 1/2 to 4 hour drive to camp sites and would like to go on a long trip once a year. I don't think a tacoma can handle it but would like to know peoples input.
Sounds like you've got your eye on the pop up. But check the specs in your owners manual - even loaded with gear this thing's well within the factory spece'd range - assuming you've got the V6 not the 4 cyl.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Iplod is on a distinguished road
Name: Maggie
Iplod's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what I'm towing with my Tacoma. I have the towing package and a V6. No problems to report after 8 trips.

BUT--I think 800 lbs of camping crap is way too conservative. I have a 135 lb generator to power the AC.

Add in all the baby things and....

You'll still be fine. Buy it.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 23 foot Nash that weights in at 6000 with all are gear, WD hitch and sway control bar and truck does just fine.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52motorhead View Post
I have a 23 foot Nash that weights in at 6000 with all are gear, WD hitch and sway control bar and truck does just fine.
Do you have a scan gauge to monitor the transmission temp?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Do you have a scan gauge to monitor the transmission temp?
Yes I do.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
kalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant futurekalieaire has a brilliant future
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever considered riding in style in an Airstream?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home...m-remodel.html
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
You are set on a pop-up, that's a good idea. But it sounds like the misses is set on a hardsided trailer whiches better for camping year round.
Look at Hi-lo Towlite trailers, company started in 1957 to 2010. Even if the company is no longer producing trailers. Parts are easier to come by plus the appliances are standard on all travel trailers. I have a 2006 22ft towlite and it tows great at 3800lbs. Look at 2001 to 2010 years because that's they went to alumium framing. My trailer was 26,000 new, I picked it up for 10K being used. I would never buy new because you take a hard hit the first few years plus I do all the repairs/modifications myself.
Pictures of my rig are in my gallery
Old 06-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Iplod is on a distinguished road
Name: Maggie
Iplod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Have you ever considered riding in style in an Airstream?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home...m-remodel.html
Dear Lord!! I wonder what that weighs? Stylish, though.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
ttubb is on a distinguished road

Name: Terry
ttubb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplod View Post
Dear Lord!! I wonder what that weighs? Stylish, though.
I have a 22' International that grosses at 5000. Tows great.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this camper to much for a tacoma-22as-2003.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
You are set on a pop-up, that's a good idea. But it sounds like the misses is set on a hardsided trailer whiches better for camping year round.
Look at Hi-lo Towlite trailers, company started in 1957 to 2010. Even if the company is no longer producing trailers. Parts are easier to come by plus the appliances are standard on all travel trailers. I have a 2006 22ft towlite and it tows great at 3800lbs. Look at 2001 to 2010 years because that's they went to alumium framing. My trailer was 26,000 new, I picked it up for 10K being used. I would never buy new because you take a hard hit the first few years plus I do all the repairs/modifications myself.
Pictures of my rig are in my gallery
I looked at them a little but we agreed on buying new just because campers are made so crappy now days and if there's a problem the first few trips, it will be under warranty. That's what was nice about this camper too, it comes with a 2 year warranty while most come with one. But since every one said I should be ok, were going to go look at it again today to see about buying it. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
It will do it but you certainly won't have problems remembering that the trailer is behind you.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #17

So I bought the camper today and will be picking it up next Saturday. So now does it really matter what kind weight distribution hitch to buy or are some made more for small trucks
Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
etrailer has excellent info on WD hitches.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-weight_distribution_faq.aspx

I just purchased this WD hitch to be used with my new car hauler trailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP66153.html
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
I pull a 29 foot, 4300 (dry) trailer. You will be fine with this.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeltz73 View Post
First of all, dry weight is a load of crap on travel trailers. You should have weighed it because that weight is without options. My 07 Scamp 16 is supposed to be 1800 or so pounds but it scales at 2200 with the battery, propane tank, and options like air conditioner (unloaded mind you). Same thing with others I have owned, R-visions, trail lites....

Second, travel trailers are the most difficult to tow because theyre so top heavy, tall, and usually sit on small wheels and tires. Wind wont treat you nicely, neither will hills. Completely different haul compared to a low slung sports car on a flat bed trailer is what im trying to say.

Third, the guys on this forum will say a Tacoma can tow anything easily, you would have been better served to check out an RV forum, where members with every sort of truck post. I think I bought my 06 Tacoma right before the Duramax and Cummins engine options were available.

Some of these guys are going 10-20 mph up hills, thats not the definition of towing "easily" or "fine". Personally, I dont like to drive with my ass clenched while im towing but to each their own.