1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing in Mountains

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rotorwind, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Jul 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    rotorwind

rotorwind [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Hey guys I've done alot of reading on the site about towing with the Tacoma but wanted to get your opinions on my situation.

I have a 2012 4.0 4X4 with the towing package (I checked and it has the transmission cooler etc).

I'm in the process of buying a 17 foot toyhauler. Dry weight is 3500. I added up everything I would carry (including people in the truck), accounted for filling up the 40 gal water tank and I'm going to be around 5500. Eventually I may get another quad so lets just say 6000 pounds to play it safe.

Where I live is 6500 feet and I will be making trips 400 miles one way down to an elevation of around 350 feet. So 800 miles round trip with BIG mountains within the first 200 miles of where I live.

The toyhauler has tandum axle and trailer brakes. Given your experience will the Tacoma be able to handle this kind of trip about 5-7 times per year? I have read and some people think it does fine at these weights and others say it sucks. Just wanted to see if anyone could give me input regarding towing in the mountains.

Thanks for the help!

Brandon

2. Jul 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    make sure to upgrade your trans cooler to a larger one with a fan.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIIE1W/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also a trans temp gauge is nice. I have my sender unit on the hard line coming right out of the trans.

I've towed my Jeep (3500lbs) on my flatbed trailer (1000-1500lbs) from Colorado to SoCal both ways. Would of been hell on the trans without the cooler, but with the max I saw was 210 and that was only for a couple mins at a time at the top of those massive hill heading towards Flag on the 40. 180 was the max it got for any kind of an extended time.

3. Jul 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    rotorwind

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Thanks SB for the reply. Thats a great suggestion. People think AZ is flat sand dunes. Not so much!

4. Jul 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    This is the writeup I followed for the temp gauge: Your truck will tow the trailer, expect to work the truck going up the long steep hills. Try to learn the rpm related to mph your torque converter is locked, so you can try to keep your trans temps as low as you can. The torque converter only locks in 4th and 5th.

5. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    rotorwind

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Good info. Thanks again!

6. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    Nola TSS

Nola TSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    S Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '13 Prerunner SR5 TSS v6
    IMO, you are pushing the limits. I tow a 16' Xpress with a 60 HP, total weight incl trailer, supplies is under 1500 lbs. I am very disappointed with the towing performance of the Tacoma's. Toyota keeps making these trucks larger w/o compensating for much needed HP increases. I would never tow a trailer weighing 6000 lbs with a Tacoma. But that's just my opinion as there are alot of guys who do. Also, I feel Toyota has over estimated the towing capacity of the v6 Tacoma's.
    I wish Toyota had kept the Tacoma's on the small side, kinda like Nissan has done with the Frontier's.

7. Jul 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    rotorwind

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Thanks for the reply. I know it's close to the limits of the truck. I realize a full size would be ideal. I'm going to give it a shot and if it doesn't work ill have to chance something!

Products Discussed in

To Top