1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Local dealer is great!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rotorwind, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jul 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    rotorwind

rotorwind [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    I was in the process of buying a small toy hauler. After reading the forums I was really worried if my truck could handle it. I have read you cant go over 30 MPH on a small grade pulling less than 5000 pounds. I told the dealer that I was concerned and asked if I could take it for a test "drive". Surisingly he let me!

The toy hauler is a 17 foot, 4070 dry weight. It had 1/2 tank of water in it. I was pulling around 4400 pounds. No weight distribution hitch (in hopes of making it feel heavier since it was unloaded).

I took it out for a 100 mile trip. Started at elevation of 6500 and went up to around 7500 feet. Largest incline was 6-7%. Air temp was about 65 degrees. It was not bad. Truck handled it better then I thought. On the largest hill I was able to go 50 MPH keeping the RPM's around 4000.

I'm going to go ahead and buy it. Once loaded up I'll be closer to 5500 pounds but I'll have the distribution hitch on it. I'll get airbags if needed. I will be going through mountainis terrain but I'm not expecting it to be fast. Just thought id give you guys my experiences.

Brandon

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Jul 26, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    runyallover

runyallover New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dennis
    houston tx
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    Mpg is miles per gallon

3. Jul 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    hpeeler

hpeeler Active Member

Member:
    The dealer where I bought mine did this as well. Never having owned a 2nd generation, I was concerned about how it would pull my boat (4600lbs) so they let me bring the boat down and pull it around, then to a boat ramp at the local lake where I backed it in and pulled it out. They would not have let me do it with a new truck however. It was a deal maker for me, and would've been a deal breaker if they hadn't.

4. Jul 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    rotorwind

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Hpeeler so since you bought the truck have you been happy with the towing performance?

5. Jul 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    hpeeler

hpeeler Active Member

Member:
    I have been happy but I also realize that I'm not going to win any races pulling my boat. I am also extra careful pulling any trailer no matter the weight. I pull it 12-15 times a year, about an hour each way, with a long trip (3-4 hrs) mixed in once a year or so. I was actually surprised at how well it towed. I do have timbren bump stops on it and that helps with the sag but does not affect the ride unloaded.

6. Jul 29, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    I pull a boat with mine as well. 18' fish and ski. Usually have a full truck of people with me as well in the truck. My 09 Tacoma has no issues at all pulling this around town and on longer trips. Does great on the highway! I used to pull it with a 2001 Tacoma 5 spd manual, believe it was a 3.4 or 3.7 liter rather than the 4.0's and it had some trouble but not much. Very pleased with the 2nd gens towing!

7. Jul 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    rotorwind

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Sounds good. Thanks for the replies

Products Discussed in

To Top