Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

'06 Tacoma 2.7 Standard Towing a '13 Polaris 850xp ATV?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Mrhiker101 is on a distinguished road

Mrhiker101's Tacoma Gallery
Question '06 Tacoma 2.7 Standard Towing a '13 Polaris 850xp ATV?

Hello all,
I have a 2006 Tacoma 2.7 2wd standard and I'm looking at getting a trailer to tow a 2013 Polaris 850xp LE. Should I have any issues with the truck pulling a small 4"x6" or 5"x7" trailer with the ATV on it? I expect to have a loss in power but I do not want to put too much strain on my transmission. The dry weight on the Polaris is 773 lbs. and all I want is a trailer big enough to tow it and nothing else. I had been putting the ATV in the bed however, since adding a front brush guard I'm afraid it's just too long to put in the bed. Before I had to ride with the tailgate down as it was which was no big deal but now I don't want to take the chance of knocking my rear window out when I'm loading it up. I watched my father do that several years back with his ATV in his truck. I just feel it's safer if I have a trailer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and I hope everyone has a safe week.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine. Make sure you strap everything down well.

Truck shouldn't even break a sweat. I have the V6 and tow my double jetski trailer...I can barely even tell its back there.i wanna say those are like 900lbs a piece...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
you will have no problem at all. i haul my two grizzly 660 atvs up the donner summit in a enclosed trail with my little four banger and it does it no problem
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine. I tow alot more on my 4 cylinder 5 speed. The longest towing trip I have done on the 4 cylinder is from Seattle to Spokane with my old 4.5 by 8 by 2 utility trailer. It was a home made really heavy trailer about 900 pounds with some furniture inside. Real wood type stuff, maybe 500-600 pounds in there and some crap in the bed. It was a fairly smooth trip, made it there and back, but the gas mileage was way down (it WILL break a sweat). Not terrible MPG, but not as good as a V6 would get.

Pull the trigger, get a nice trailer, they're good investments and you'll be alot safer.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhiker101 View Post
Hello all,
I have a 2006 Tacoma 2.7 2wd standard and I'm looking at getting a trailer to tow a 2013 Polaris 850xp LE. Should I have any issues with the truck pulling a small 4"x6" or 5"x7" trailer with the ATV on it? I expect to have a loss in power but I do not want to put too much strain on my transmission. The dry weight on the Polaris is 773 lbs. and all I want is a trailer big enough to tow it and nothing else. I had been putting the ATV in the bed however, since adding a front brush guard I'm afraid it's just too long to put in the bed. Before I had to ride with the tailgate down as it was which was no big deal but now I don't want to take the chance of knocking my rear window out when I'm loading it up. I watched my father do that several years back with his ATV in his truck. I just feel it's safer if I have a trailer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and I hope everyone has a safe week.
The 2.7 is a strong motor for its size, with good torque. I don't know how your diff is geared (mine was nice and high, I believe 4.87s) so first gear was useless until I put on 33's. That said, if you are geared well you won't stress your tranny pulling the extra weight. Loading and unloading out of a trailer will be way easier, and will save you a ton of wear and tear on the bed of the truck. I crumpled a tailgate unloading a slab of granite. Smart move OP!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
4bangeronabudget is on a distinguished road
Army:
4bangeronabudget's Tacoma Gallery
Your good man that sled probly weighs less than 700 pounds. For comparison i have towed over 2000lbs with mine ( pretty much stock motor) just keep in mind the smaller the trailer the harder it is to back up. And you have 4.10 gears by the way same as mine.