1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Specific TT model and my Tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by jeffjcalweb, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    jeffjcalweb

jeffjcalweb [OP] Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 V6 TowPkg
    None
    Hi, I'm going to skip the gory details of why, but I'm a former Tundra owner (2011 CrewMax 5.7V8) that recently downsized ([​IMG])... to a Tacoma (2012 DB 4x4 LB V6 auto w/TowPkg)

Anyway I've read the tacoma towing bible (awesome work there!!). In the end, I have a very specific TT I'm about to purchase and by all I've read there should be no issue, still if anyone here has experience with this or similar TT I'd like to hear "real world" feedback.

The TT is a ForestRiver Roo 19 (Hybrid). Dirty details:

- Dry Hitch Weight: 379lbs
    - Dry Trailer Weight: 3494lbs
    - GVWR: 4,779lbs

It is highly unlikely I'd ever pull the trailer at max GVWR, so let's say its more in the 4000-4200 range. Its unlikely I'd have the tacoma at max payload.

I will of course put in a e-brake controller, WD hitch, but the real question is, will the Tacoma be suited to handle this? The math says yes and I'm going to be at the 80% or under GVWR leaving room for 'error'.

I have had the Tacoma for one week, I'm suffering from Tundra withdrawl so I'm not sure if I'm being fair to the Tacoma. My concern is just normal around town driving I have a sense of "no way this can tow 4000lbs"...

Long post...lots going on here. FWIW's this is actually my 3rd Tacoma, but first one since 1999 :)

2. Aug 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Jersey

Jersey New Member

Member:
    Chestermere
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco TRD
    I have a FR Roo Hybrid 23SS that I pull with my 2009 Taco TRD LB and it pulls really well. I have a WD hitch, ebrakes and pack light. It does have to work a lot harder in the mountains but it doesn't drop power like my previous 4Runner. Overall driving IMO is comfortable at no time do I feel unsafe but I keep my speed at 65mph. I have been thinking about getting a Tundra though as the kids are getting bigger, we're soon to be adding a large dog and I would like to pack more. Hope this helps.

3. Aug 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    jeffjcalweb

jeffjcalweb [OP] Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 V6 TowPkg
    None
    thanks for the reply, yes that does help. i actually went from the tundra to the tacoma after having the tundra for 2 years. there's no denying that tundra is one hell of a truck...but it was 95% commuter vehicle, 5% "truck". after paying over $400 a month in gas alone, it was just becoming equal to burning money.

so anyway, good to know about your experience. for me i'm just looking for confirmation that the Tacoma will work for what I need, which is 95% commuter, 5% moderate towing. as long as i can stay at 60 on highway, make it through moderate hills (such as going to Tahoe) then i'm good to go!

4. Aug 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Jersey

Jersey New Member

Member:
    Chestermere
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco TRD
    I would say so but I've never had to come to any emergency stops or anything. I take it easy on the road but it's others I worry about ! Good to know about the Tundra, that's what I was worried about. I too drive 95-5 as a commuter/towing so that was my hesitation. Love the room but I think I could make the Tacoma work especially because I love it for almost all situations. Take the Roo out and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results IMO. Good luck.

5. Aug 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '21 ORDC Cement
    I went the opposite direction, replacing my '06 Prerunner with a '12 tundra 4.6. There's lots I miss about the Tacoma, but the Tundra is a better fit for me, and was cheaper than a new Taco.

I tow an 18' 3700lb. wet RPod. The Prerunner did a very nice job, even on the Passes of Washington State. I used a WDH, locked out 5th in tow/haul, and kept below 65 mph. Like I said, I do miss the Prerunner, but the 4.6 Tundra gets a solid 2 mpg better than the Taco in every day driving and towing the RPod, and I've hand figured every tank for both rigs.

6. Aug 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    jeffjcalweb

jeffjcalweb [OP] Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 V6 TowPkg
    None
    @whiskey - good point the tundra doesn't HAVE to be the 5.7 V8 :)

i suspect given how often i move from vehicle to vehicle i'll find myself back in a full size "something" within 2-3 years. meanwhile this tacoma is proving to be a nice vehicle, i'm saving some $$$ month over month. it seems it will do what i need it to do w/regards to towing the Roo 19. I'm a conservative driver anyway, so for me pulling anything at 60mph is all I need. Given how infrequent that activity is compared to just driving around town, i still think this was the right move for now. it would be nice to see the tacoma update its V6 however to something along the lines of 275HP/275lb given Nissan and others ability to get that out of their 6's now. that would probably conflict a little with the smaller V8 available in the tundra i suspect...

7. Aug 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '21 ORDC Cement
    You're really gonna love your Tacoma compared to your Tundra if you maintain it yourself. Changing Taco oil is a breeze compared to the Tundra! It also sounds like how you primarily use your Tacoma is what I miss most about switching to the Tundra. Tacos are sure more fun around town. Good luck with your truck and your tow. Betcha you're gonna do fine.

8. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    You will have no problems man... I have a similar trailer and have towed it through moutains, long hauls, etc.... My trailer was about 3500 loaded. In fact, we have recently upgraded, going with a much longer 26 foot trailer, still don't expect too many problems!

Products Discussed in

To Top