Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Scared to death while towing a car

Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
CFI AandP is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aviation Mechanic (AM)
Name: Cory
CFI AandP's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my '13 DCSB 2WD three weeks and did my first tow this weekend. 2,800lb car on a 2,000lb tandem axle trailer w/o brakes. Was about a 30 mile tow with 20 miles of highway in there. Towed like a normal rig, didn't notice any difference than the same set-up being pulled by my previous truck. Well, the Taco did downshift to 4,000RPM to climb the overpasses.

Cheated death once again.
Attached Thumbnails
Scared to death while towing a car-img_1650-1-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedsupra View Post
BTW, the trailor does not have brakes.
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but you should go turn in your driver's license immediately and never drive again. I mean that. It's a fucking miracle you didn't kill anyone.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
--
adamiata is just really niceadamiata is just really niceadamiata is just really niceadamiata is just really niceadamiata is just really nice

adamiata's Tacoma Gallery
How fast were you going man?? Towed cars with a tow dolly plenty of times, hundreds of interstate miles and just down the road without a hiccup. I do drive like a little old lady though.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but you should go turn in your driver's license immediately and never drive again. I mean that. It's a fucking miracle you didn't kill anyone.
Oooo, a duet!

I think the OP gets it. Legal or not, towing heavy loads without trailer brakes should be avoided. Eric and others have given good advice, and the OP is listening. What more do you want?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
phew. sounds sketch!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

and you should sell your router and never get on the internet again

derp derp derp derp derp de derp
Old 10-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I towed an old Firebird over 300 miles on a dolly, and you couldn't even tell it was there. That's the ticket. No way would I do it with a trailer.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
forcefedsupra is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dustin
forcefedsupra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy shit! You are an asshole. I didn't do a fucking thing to you. I made a mistake because I'm a human. So are you, Mr. Perfect. If you say you've never made a mistake then you're a fucking liar. I traded the Tacoma in for a Tundra, Problem solved, so fuck off and die. I hope your asshole grows shut.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Holy shit! You are an asshole. I didn't do a fucking thing to you. I made a mistake because I'm a human. So are you, Mr. Perfect. If you say you've never made a mistake then you're a fucking liar. I traded the Tacoma in for a Tundra, Problem solved, so fuck off and die. I hope your asshole grows shut.
Sealed anus aside, I hope the new truck works out for you. Still, if towing trailers with a gross weight over 2000-3000 lbs, you probably should have some brakes on it. Be careful, and have fun with the Tundra. Any photos?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
You probably should have trailer brakes but I wouldn't think you would have that much trouble without them. I would say planning ahead and driving slower and breaking sooner would help, but maybe your brakes are just bad on your truck. I probably wouldn't have traded for a Tundra already unless you tow that load very frequently, it would be far cheaper to just add brakes to the trailer. And FTD I don't think you really provided anything useful.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #31
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
I'll probably get bashed for this (Do NOT recommend what I did to anyone who does not have a lot of experience towing and is not set up for it). I moved back to Oregon from Arizona. My 1940 chrysler on a 20' dual axle trailer. Total weight of trailer/car/loaded items was ~7k (had my dual bay with top box and all my tools along with household items split between the bed and in the car). Truck was a little slow on some of the bigger hills, but towed and handled beautifully. Trailer has brakes on both 3500lb axles. Additions to my setup were: new aux trans cooler, air bags, w/d hitch, sway controller, completely required trailer with new break away box. I monitored trans temp with my Snap-On Ethos and it never got "hot" but stayed within a reasonable range and only had to stop to let the brakes cool down on the 8% grade (I think 5 miles at 25mph of winding road) going into Adel Oregon. Though I did run very rich on the hills and she puffed a cloud out when I floored it to 75 on I5 to clean my cats (yes, I monitored the O2 sensors and fuel trim while driving). I must say that I am very impressed with how well these trucks do when properly set up.

Oh, and kept it at about 60. Had some nice people give me the one finger wave. But I just laughed because they got pulled over about 10 min after they passed me.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #32

^^^ I'm surprised you weren't swarmed by troopers, armed with scales. That's becoming a popular way to generate revenue. Glad it worked out.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post

and you should sell your router and never get on the internet again

derp derp derp derp derp de derp
BAM! +1 To you good sir.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I hope your asshole grows shut.
HAHAHA..that would be awful..hahahah. damn,that is funny.

i will use this phrase by week's end.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #35
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
^^^ I'm surprised you weren't swarmed by troopers, armed with scales. That's becoming a popular way to generate revenue. Glad it worked out.
Under 20k, they didn't care about me other than checking out the car. One cop almost rear ended a semi looking at my car when I was stopped for gas in Nevada.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #36
tmdepue is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
tmdepue's Tacoma Gallery
2013 stock prerunner double cab with no towing package from dealer. what is max towing capacity, that the tacoma can actually pull? I believe the sticker indicates it is around 3500lbs. total. If you have brakes and sway control, it will pull OK, but will kill gas mileage. Does this sound correct?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdepue View Post
2013 stock prerunner double cab with no towing package from dealer. what is max towing capacity, that the tacoma can actually pull? I believe the sticker indicates it is around 3500lbs. total. If you have brakes and sway control, it will pull OK, but will kill gas mileage. Does this sound correct?
Welcome to TW!

That information should be in your owner's manual. I'd look it up, but I don't want to assume it's the same for my MY2012 DCSB 4WD OR, because it may not be.

Pulling really isn't a problem. At maximum capacity, there are two main issues: automatic transmission heat/wear, and braking performance. If you have an AT, you'll probably want to add an ATF cooler, as well as drive in 4, not D (overdrive). You'll also probably want trailer brakes, which will mean additional wiring if the trailer has electric brakes.

Check here for a lot more information on Towing with a Tacoma.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #38
I actually got the Tundra for the same price as the Tacoma, less than half the miles, plenty of warranty, two years newer and Toyota certified. I don't like it quite as much as the Tacoma but I do tow pretty often especially since I move a lot, (military). The Tundra had no problem at all towing the same car on the same trailor. I really do miss my Taco.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #39
BTW, thanks to everyone else who gave useful information. I know this is a good community as are all the Toyota groups I'm in so I won't let one jerk form my opinion.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #40
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
*trailer