Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Noob towing question

Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
SR5Taco07 is on a distinguished road
SR5Taco07's Tacoma Gallery
Noob towing question

First off I'm new to the site. Long time Toyota guy but just bought my first Tacoma.

I read other threads on this but wanted to make sure before I go out a tow over 3500lbs. I read on other threads if you have a small radiator looking thing in front of the actual radiator then you have the towing package.

In the picture, is this the small radiator looking thing you guys are talking about? I bought the truck used and it has no owners manual so I can't see any towing info. It did come with a 7pin to 4pin adapter and there is one bolt on each side mounted to the bumper.

Thanks and sorry for the repost but just wanna make sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Noob towing question-image.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
You need to check, you should have a transmission cooler(that small radiator) and a pigtail with plug for a brake controller. the pigtail looks like a white plastic plug with a bunch of colored wires with stripped ends on it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
I took that picture, where is this pigtail located?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
The "pigtail" should be in the glove box. If not check the center console, behind the rear seats, and under the rear seats (if double cab). This pigtail allows you to use a trailer brake controller easily. The loose ends connect to the loose ends that the controller has and plugs into the plug behind the drivers lower kick panel. Trailer brake controllers are very helpful when towing big and loaded trailers that have electric brakes.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

If you have the 7pin in the back, a hitch, and that extra cooler for the trans then your truck has the package. The pigtail is something that could have been taken out of the truck if it wasn't hooked up.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, that's a tranny cooler you have pictured. My pigtail was stuffed under the dash above the steering column.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
I couldn't locate a pigtail. I looked in the storage are by the fuses, glove box and center console. Noticed this fan was pink. I remember reading something about that also.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
I think I found my pigtail, lol only problem is that it's not hooked to anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Taco07 View Post
I think I found my pigtail, lol only problem is that it's not hooked to anything.
Refer to my previous post. Should be a harness located way up in the steering column. Mine was a pain to reach.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
I found it, it was in my glove box never hooked up. I took a pic
Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Taco07 View Post
I found it, it was in my glove box never hooked up. I took a pic
Right, what I'm saying is you have to connect it.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Toyota Technician

Ok good. You'll still need a trailer brake controller to utilize the trailer brakes. That pigtail hooks up to the pigtail the brake controller comes with. Then you hook it up to the plug behind the lower front kick panel on the drivers side. There is an empty plug in there. If you don't have a controller then anything plugged into the 7pin in the back only stops from the truck brakes and the lights might work too.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Ok thanks, I'm not hauling anything soon but it's nice knowing. Guess with all the findings I do have the tow package. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
zakattak is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Electrician 3rd class petty officer
Name: Zak
zakattak's Tacoma Gallery
ok so i have an 05 prerunner double cab v6 4l...and im wondering what all i gota do to tow 5k lbs....theres a reese hitch in the back bolted to the frame...and a pink mount on my fan ...what does that mean? i went out and bought a brake controller and the neccessary harness and mounting stuff to go form the 4 pin to the 7 pin but still need to install it, also looking for a trans cooler to haul easier on my transmission. anything im missing here? that isnt a towing package right if i need a trans cooler? and that reese hitch is ok for 5K pounds? dumb question but i called the toyota dealer and asked this and he says sure get a cooler, it could help, and even though the reese hitch says max load 3500lbs/tongue 350lb it will haul the 14x7 double axel trailer just fine....<.<