Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What should I keep under the rear seats?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
eazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud of

Name: Jay
eazyrider711's Tacoma Gallery
What should I keep under the rear seats?

I've read up a bit on tools and gear and I have some ideas. I want to put some stuff in the rear seat storage for emergencies. So, not really gearing out a whole off road kit, but something I can always have with me in case I need to pull someone out of a snowbank in the winter.

Here's my list so far.

Any obvious things I'm missing here? My truck is a DC, but the rear passenger side storage (behind the seat-back) has a sub or something so no storage space there. How much can I realistically even fit in that storage?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Go at least 20k rating and 30'. If you get a second strap get a 20'. I'd keep a recovery shackle that fits in your hitch receiver too. Give you another pull point either for your truck or a stuck vehicle.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Socket wrench and extension with a 10 and 12mm socket. You can almost disassemble the entire truck with that.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
MrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
MrStumpy's Tacoma Gallery
Okay it's too small to fit a DB (dead body) back there, so I opted for the following:

Snatch Strap
Small compressor
QuickStart battery charger
Road flares
Small tool bag
Fire extinguisher rated ABC
Emergency med kit (w/ quick clot and rubber gloves)
Spare batteries (CR123) for my 300 lumen tactical flashlights
Leather gloves
Portable solar panel charger (if you are in the middle of BFE and your cell phone or truck battery is dead you might end up that way too without one.)

The only other item I am looking at but not bought is for the real Trekkers because it is expensive. That would be a Personal locator beacon. If you are wheeling in areas that have no cell coverage this is almost a must. If someone is injured or you have a medical emergency this sends a distress signal to satellite's and then relays to local rescue facilities.
I have some other junk but this in the main list

Steve
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
What's under my backseat.
First aid kit.
Winch controller
a few misc. sized bungees
collapsible fishing pole
small tackle box
1 pair leather gloves
What's behind my backseat.
Streamlight Tasklight-Best flashlight I have ever owned.
20'/30k# rated recovery strap
small 3/8"&1/4" socket set
small screw driver/plier set
1 roll electrical tape
1 roll duct tape
1 roll TP
1-3/4" shackle
jumper cables
4 AA batteries
4 AAA batteries
In the cubbies in the bed.
receiver mounted shackle
tie down strap
collapsible dog water bowl
Thats all I can remember right now. There might be a few others I'm forgetting.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Socket wrench and extension with a 10 and 12mm socket. You can almost disassemble the entire truck with that.
if you have a 14mm as well!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
as of right now ive got:
SAE and Metric socket set
a bucket of different sized bungees
a flashlight
jumper cables
ice scraper
i think theres some other stuff but thats all i can remember off hand
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Most the good stuff has been covered in the posts above, but here are a couple more thoughts.

I always keep a multi-meter in my vehicle. But it looks like you have a 2012 so probably not a lot of use for it haha. Not a bad idea anyway. My 96 use to be riddled with electrical issues so I got pretty handy with it.

If you do highway driving in bad winter conditions you should have some kind of 24 hour kit. Something for warmth (blankets), nuts+energy bars. Shovel in the bed too.

Other handy items I like are tissues, wet wipes, advil/tylenon, gum, tire pressue gauge, knife and some cheap gas station sunglasses in case you forget yours.

I know one person who has $100 cash stashed in his truck. Never know when you might need some cash when you're in a bind.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Also some pen and paper. Never know when someone is going to rear-end you and you have to write down some details
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
eazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud of

Dang, you guys cram a ton of stuff in there. I need to look again, didn't realize it was that much storage space. How do you fit an AC compressor in there?!?!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Fox2011PM is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Fox2011PM's Tacoma Gallery
MRE's, first aid kit, tire plug kit, jumper cables, sockets, wrenches, zip ties.....just some "bug out" survival stuff (if I can drive in a bug out scenario), otherwise I made a BOB to grab if I have to go on foot (got the GR2 from GORUCK). Check em out they have some badass gear, very well made. (goruck.com). An dennnn.....("NO AN DEN!!"), tons of other gear BEHIND my seats! Could prob live out of my truck for at least a month.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
How about throwing a cheap, old blanket behind the driver's side passenger seat (the empty space behind the seat when it's folded down).

You never know when you (or someone you're freeing from a snowbank) might need it to stay warm in dire situations.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

I just ordered,
  • the 2 shackles
  • recovery strap (30,000lbs)
  • bungees
  • gloves
  • receiver hitch with d-ring

Thanks for the info and help. I think I'll still add a blanket and maybe a shovel if I can fit it in, but this is the basics I wanted to start with.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
bjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bradley
bjhn83's Tacoma Gallery
Mentioned above, but go for a good tire patch kit too, one where the tools have 'T' handles rather than screwdriver handles. I've used mine numerous times on my Taco, friends cars, and the fourwheeler. Always comes in handy.

Ratchet straps, first aid, and a hammock are always back there too.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
One great thing about having a shell is being able to throw something in the bed and lock it up. I have a winter box that has an extra coat, blanket, tire chains, extra socks, winter gloves and some of those hothands packets. It stays in the bed from about October thru April.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
bjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bradley
bjhn83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
One great thing about having a shell is being able to throw something in the bed and lock it up.
Agreed
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
evan164 is on a distinguished road
Name: Evan
evan164's Tacoma Gallery
The most important emergency item that I keep in my truck is a roll of toilet paper. You never when you'll have to go!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Jumper cables. First aid kit, battery powered flashligh. Road flares, solar blanket, caution triangles, tire kit. Socket set. Bungees, straps, velcro, camping paper and some various ofther junk.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Along with 2 sets of wrenches (SAE and Metric), 2 sets of sockets (SAE and Metric), screwdriver set, pry bar (3 sizes), 3 adjustable cresent wrenches, few different pliers, first aid kit,stock jack. (this all barely fits in the back). Machete, SOG all in one, Gerber hunting knife, goose down gloves (canada eh), beanie, munchies, flashlights (2x leds and one maglight) tape, lighter, coins. (all up front)
The most useful tools for yourself and others you maybe helping: high visibility vest, tire canister and this set here.
What should I keep under the rear seats?-arb-10000010-thumb.jpg
Oh yea rusty booster cables floating in the back somewhere. Heh
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Anytime I go out into the sticks I keep the following in my truck, IMO most important to least important

(very basic bare minimum list)

Basic survival essentials food/water/bush knife/Gun/2m radio/flashlight/lighter
towstraps
assortment of essential and misc. tools, wrenches, sockets, BFH, screwdrivers/tire repair/plug kit ect
assorted nut/bolts screws
misc. wiring
mechanix work gloves
blankets/pillow
ratchet straps

Products Discussed in this Thread