1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hitch installation issues?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Flyingtiger, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Aug 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    Flyingtiger

Flyingtiger [OP] Member

Member:
    Might be unthinkable that installing a hitch receiver could be screwed up but I managed to it yesterday.

For starters: I've done a couple before so this wasn't my first rodeo. Second, I am ashamed having to come here and ask what's going on.

Now that that is out of the way.....

Ok so I bought a Uhaul receiver and installed it yesterday. I did it myself because I wanted to and because I need it for Tuesday and no uhaul place in town could do it by then. Ridiculous but water under the bridge now.

I loosened up all the bolts, removed the two toward the front to allow the receiver to slide between the frame and the bumper bracket. My problems came when I tried to reinsert and tighten the bolts. The first bolt (closest to front of the truck) will not tighten down on either side. All other bolts have been tightened and the spacers have been inserted for the bumper bracket. It's almost like those two bolts are both a hair off and are not entering the welded nuts flush. I've loosened, tried to adjust, and retightened all bolts trying to find a solution. Nothing works. That front bolt on each side just won't go flush. Help?

image.jpg

2. Jan 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Hi,
    Well I am trying to install a factory Toyota hitch on my 06 I removed the bumper brackets and bumper, installed the hitch all looks good, then when I go to install the bumper brackets identical to yours the bracket does not fit inside the hitch bracket so it appears I must remove the bracket flange from the bumper to line up the holes. Maybe there is another bracket they used when adding the tow package. Don't know if I helped or confused you.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top