Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Hitch installation issues?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Flyingtiger is on a distinguished road
Flyingtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Hitch installation issues?

Might be unthinkable that installing a hitch receiver could be screwed up but I managed to it yesterday.

For starters: I've done a couple before so this wasn't my first rodeo. Second, I am ashamed having to come here and ask what's going on.

Now that that is out of the way.....

Ok so I bought a Uhaul receiver and installed it yesterday. I did it myself because I wanted to and because I need it for Tuesday and no uhaul place in town could do it by then. Ridiculous but water under the bridge now.

I loosened up all the bolts, removed the two toward the front to allow the receiver to slide between the frame and the bumper bracket. My problems came when I tried to reinsert and tighten the bolts. The first bolt (closest to front of the truck) will not tighten down on either side. All other bolts have been tightened and the spacers have been inserted for the bumper bracket. It's almost like those two bolts are both a hair off and are not entering the welded nuts flush. I've loosened, tried to adjust, and retightened all bolts trying to find a solution. Nothing works. That front bolt on each side just won't go flush. Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch installation issues?-image.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Toy2Guy is on a distinguished road
Toy2Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,
Well I am trying to install a factory Toyota hitch on my 06 I removed the bumper brackets and bumper, installed the hitch all looks good, then when I go to install the bumper brackets identical to yours the bracket does not fit inside the hitch bracket so it appears I must remove the bracket flange from the bumper to line up the holes. Maybe there is another bracket they used when adding the tow package. Don't know if I helped or confused you.