Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing a bobcat

Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
btacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a bobcat

I have a 05 4.0 v6 pre runner asking if the truck could handle a bobcat. The rental place told me the bobcat plus trailer weighs 8000lb. From my understanding the truck towing weigh is 6k. I havent towed anything more than 4k before. Just asking for advise.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Eff that. 8k is a shit ton.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My dad keeps telling me would be ok but I'm screaming no too.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be alright. What's your rear suspensions setup/look like right now? If you do keep it easy because breaking will be slow. How far will you be taking it?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btacoma View Post
I have a 05 4.0 v6 pre runner asking if the truck could handle a bobcat. The rental place told me the bobcat plus trailer weighs 8000lb. From my understanding the truck towing weigh is 6k. I havent towed anything more than 4k before. Just asking for advise.

Thanks
8k is more than 6k, so no would be the correct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Eff that. 8k is a shit ton.
It's four ton to be exact.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post

It's four ton to be exact.

Touché my fine sir.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Not a chance.

You can probably do it, but you'll be taking your life (and likely others) into your hands. I've seen those towed by larger trucks, and even seen those larger trucks get pushed around on the road and crash. As in, right in front of me...
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Not endorsing it, but I remember back around 10 yrs ago seeing a 1st gen pulling a bobcat on multiple occasions. Always thought it was crazy!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've pulled a tractor on a trailer with about the same weight... Just make sure it's evenly spread on the trailer axles and take it slow. Remember, it's not what you can pull its what you can stop....
Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTaco View Post
Remember, it's not what you can pull its what you can stop....
That is great.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I'm gona pass on this I'm not that well experienced for that much weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #13

btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to all as much as I respect my dad I'm gona disagree with him.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Ecip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ecip's Tacoma Gallery
Well.. U could rent a smaller machine that's lighter.
Or drive it to your house lol.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btacoma View Post
Thanks to all as much as I respect my dad I'm gona disagree with him.

Good call. when I used one, they delivered it for me. That was nice.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, have them deliver! I rent heavy equipment all the time where I work, trust me, if they want your business they will bring it to you. Even with a full size truck have them deliver it!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Peezer is on a distinguished road
Peezer's Tacoma Gallery
No legit rental outfit around here would even let you hook it up to anything less than a 3/4 ton.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peezer View Post
No legit rental outfit around here would even let you hook it up to anything less than a 3/4 ton.
ditto, I can tow the smallest bobcat and the ride behind bobcat

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
I have pulled a lot of skid loaders in my life and even in a F350 without trailer breaks I was pushed through an intersection. I wouldn't want to do it with any Tacoma but properly working trailer brakes would be the most important feature. If you are a auto and don't have a trany cooler then forget about it. Either rent a smaller piece of equipment or get it delivered. Most of these places only charge $50 to pickup and $50 to drop off.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
when i got a bobcat..i had to ask the rancher lady that lives across the street from me if she would go and pick it up for us. she has a big ford diesel.

i didnt want to risk it with my wee little truck.