Notices

pulling my boat out of the water

Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
bobbybreach is on a distinguished road
Air Force: fire team leader
Name: bobby
bobbybreach's Tacoma Gallery
pulling my boat out of the water

im taking my boat out of the water tomorrow and it gets stored at my country house. now im driveway is real tight and there are a lot of trees on either side so its hard to reverse into it. my question is... should I put it in 4lo so im to burning up my clutch the whole time trying to maneuver it? or just leave it in 2wd and clutch it as normal? whats the better option. there will be a lot of forward and reverse to get it into the driveway.

also, backing into the water to pull the boat out, whats the farthest safest distance with the truck I can go. just before it starts to come in the rear door? the exhaust will be under water but I heard as long as you keep the engine running it will be fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
1st, dont use 4wd(HI or low) on dry asphalt or concrete it can mess it up really badly, and the whole thing will have to be replaced. so if you not in grass or dirt or gravel don’t do it at all.

2nd, i’m not familiar with 4wd and a manual, so idk if it would be better to put it in or not.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
You won't hurt your clutch from a few minutes of backing your boat in. You'll be fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
LowerBost has a spectacular aura aboutLowerBost has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
LowerBost's Tacoma Gallery
Hauled my boat around with my last 2001 Tacoma 5 Speed. Don't remember the weight of the boat but I think with both engines on the back its around 1800-2000 lbs. Never put it into 4WD when backing it up. At most, I would put it into 4WD if it was a steep launch taking it out. Other than that, your turning radius on asphalt in 4WD is really gonna suck and make it harder to maneuver. Hope this helps!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
bobbybreach is on a distinguished road
Air Force: fire team leader
Name: bobby
bobbybreach's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that that works. the road is all sad and gravel so its fine for 4wd. but ill leave it in 2wd and clutch the shit out of it.

thanks guys
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybreach View Post
yeah that that works. the road is all sad and gravel so its fine for 4wd. but ill leave it in 2wd and clutch the shit out of it.

thanks guys
I'd be sad too if I was gravel...

But you should be fine in 2wd as long as it isn't too steep
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future

02Duck's Tacoma Gallery
I have used lo when I pull launch and retrieve my boat. It helps keep the speed down where I want without having to ride the clutch. But I am not on pavement.

I guess if I was you and had a lot of tight turns to make I would try to stay out of lo, but if you don't have tight turns and want to go slow I would use lo. Just try not to get it bound up when you have it engaged.