Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Electric Brake Controller install question....

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
JWWPHOTO is on a distinguished road
JWWPHOTO's Tacoma Gallery
Electric Brake Controller install question....

I bought the Hayes G2 Brake controller for use pulling a new travel trailer.

When you are installing the electric brake sys controller, it comes with a wiring harness specifically for Toyota. One end plugs into the controller. Where does the other end plug into. I have not recieved the controller as of yet, but went and looked to see a socket under the dash and I can't tell where this it to plug in at.

Has anyone installed their own electric brake sys in a 2008 Tacoma?

Please help me out.

Jeff W. Waldrop
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, the place in which you will see the plug is above the driver side kick pannel.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Let me see if I can find something for ya....
Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
I do have the towing package, BTW

Jeff
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #5

Dam...These instructions will get you to the towing relay. You will have to follow the wires and you should see the plug in for the brake controler
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/05+/data/...06ta/05102.pdf
Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Towing bible chapter 6 covers brake controllers

The first picture in the link above shows the plug you are looking for, and Chris is right it is above the driver's side kick pannel, however it may be easier to get to and access if you remove the kick pannel.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
That Elusive plug that I am looking for...

Adam, and others,

Right above that photo in the towing bible, it says that the pigtail came with the truck and was in the glove box. I found mine and that helps me to identify the mating plug that I am looking for.

But, if my controller comes with the Toyota specific harness, I should not need it, right?

I am assuming that this pigtail that comes with the truck is if you have to wire into yourself...... hmmmm

Jeff W. Waldrop
Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWPHOTO View Post
Adam, and others,

Right above that photo in the towing bible, it says that the pigtail came with the truck and was in the glove box. I found mine and that helps me to identify the mating plug that I am looking for.

But, if my controller comes with the Toyota specific harness, I should not need it, right?

I am assuming that this pigtail that comes with the truck is if you have to wire into yourself...... hmmmm

Jeff W. Waldrop

That is correct. The pigtail that came with the truck connects a toyota to any brake controller. The pigtail that came with your controller connects that controller to any toyota.

So if you've found the connector above the kick pannel, then you are good to go it'll be plug and play.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Thanks to all

Thanks for the help.

Jeff W. Waldrop