1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Airbags vs TSB

Discussion in 'Towing' started by canadiankid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    TT-TOWWER

TT-TOWWER Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Old Gray Mare
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner OFF ROAD SR5
    K&N CAI, TRD exhaust, tow package, TSB rear leaf fix, AirLift bags. Debadged.
    Had the TSB performed. It was nice but still not enough for my liking. So we added the "pillows" and that was just the ticket. We tow a 24" Fleetwood. Scales said 5600# and that was loaded with gear etc but not with fresh water -- we wait til we've made it closer to our destination and then fill 'er up. Have the Equalizer WD hitch and that works really good. MPG sucks when hills are involved, i.e. 7 MPG. But when we're running on flatlands itimproves to 10 MPG.

2. Apr 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM
    Tacoma Tom

Tacoma Tom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 DBL TRD
    What mfg bags did you install?

3. Apr 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    Hello All,

In no way do I intend to hijack this thread. I did some quick research and I have found two air bag helpers. AirLift and the RideRite. I was wondering if anyone has opinions between the two? I really did not want to chop off the spring stop which is required for the RideRite. The Airlift mounts just fore of the axle so it does not require you to alter the stop. To go with the RideRite I would want to know that it performs better or at least outlasts the AirLift.

TIA

4. Apr 6, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    canadiankid

canadiankid [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD SPORT
    Just my 2 cents, but I would think that having the pressure going down on your axle would be better that on the leaf pack. I didn't find that loosing the bump stops was a big deal because if you have airbags the bump stops are useless anyways. The only drawback would be if you have to take out the bags then I would have to get and get a new or used set of bump stops.

5. Apr 6, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    anyone with bags already, does it make ur rear any higher with no air in them? and how much does it change with some air added? say when ur not towing anything

6. Apr 6, 2009 at 11:50 PM
    Clelsdah

Clelsdah Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division

Member:
    No California Foothills
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Bed mat, tube steps, Ipod interface, Ride-rite air springs
    I have the Ride Rite airbags, the ride height increases with pressure but running 10psi or less without a load does not change the height. To answer earlier questions about bump stops being cut. The manufacturer recommends at least 5psi in the bags at all times this I assume is to keep the chances of bottoming out low along with maintaining bag shape. I suppose you could loosen the u-bolts holding the leaf springs and take the whole bump stop assembly out.

As far as the thread question I had the TSB done after installing the airbags. The TSB improves the quality and performance of the trucks. The nice thing about the airbags is their adjustability. I normally fill to about 20psi before loading and then level the truck with more air if needed after loading. So my question is why not both???

7. Apr 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    I agree. The RideRites seem to be the better design by orienting the forces over the axle.

I guess I can't ever see a need to remove them so hacking the bump stop off is kinda a no issue.

Thanks

8. Apr 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    trd2001

trd2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 Sport
    OME 884 TSB Springs Firestone Airbags
    I have the Airbags and the TSB. I dont have to add as much as w/o the TSB, but the springs still suck.

9. Apr 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    Cooked Goose

Cooked Goose Member

Member:
    I have the TSB and Firestone Ride Rite with dual on board compressor. I had the bags installed before the TSB mainly because my a$$ sagged so bad with the trailer hitched. I have 24' travel trailer weighing 4300# dry. I have not weighed it at a scale like I should. Before the bags I was literally 1/2 or less from bump stops. The Rite Rite's help tremendously. The compressor, the only benefit is you don't have to go out and check pressure or find a pump to change it. There wasn't really a good spot for the gauge and I really hate where it is now but I still think it's worth it. One thing to consider is that you don't HAVE to use Firestone's compressor/controller to inflate the bags. I do like Airlift's digital controller which doesn't require running the air lines in the cab. It gives you a wider choice of mounting locations but it is costly! I have in pics the gallery but I don't know how to post them here. I towed from Nashville to So. Cal last November and back in January. Roughly 2000 miles each way. Surprisingly the only real problem I had was semi's blowing me off the road as they passed. The truck pulled it just fine. Mileage did suck - anywhere from 4 mpg on a grade to 14 mpg on flat ground. With the ScanGauge I really tried to drive moderately but my older brother as a co-pilot would go flat out until I would get pissy with him.

10. Apr 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    so how is the ride just around town with no load with the air bags?? see i wanna get them to raise the rear some if i need to after i get the 5100 shocks for the front..but i want it to be able to be stock height too if i wanted it, thats why i wonder if i have 10psi or less in them if it will still be stock height? thanks

11. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    Cooked Goose

Cooked Goose Member

Member:
    I usually run with 10 psi in mine and it still sits a bit high since I had the TSB done. Before the TSB it sat pretty level. It's not enough to bother me but it is noticeable.

12. Jul 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM
    peel.m

peel.m Member

Member:
    flowmaster exhaust, K&N cold air intake
    I installed the Air Lift Bags with "Automatic" on Board Compressor system. Very happy with the results plus I never have to do anything. The bags will inflate and deflate on their own. I have seen other threads RE the Firestone bags but for me they seemed like overkill. I also read that many owners experienced 1" of ride height increase at minimum pressure. Regarding the bag placement (in front of the axle or on top)... it really shouldn't matter since you would have to "extremely" overload the bed to cause any problems with bad position.

This is just speaking from experience... don't mean to discredit any other opinions.

13. Sep 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Do most agree?:confused: I'm thinking of picking up a set of Airlift. I'm gonna use a small 100PSI max compressor that I plug into the bed of my truck to air them up.

14. Sep 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    peel.m

peel.m Member

Member:
    flowmaster exhaust, K&N cold air intake
    Everything I have read re the Air Lift has been positive. Like I said, I don't know much about the Firestone system but I have been very happy with AirLift. I have been loading it more and more lately between the boat (580lbs of tongue weight) and trips full of cement, dirt and rocks. Every trip I have felt stable, level ride, and no flex in the springs.

I would go with AirLift. Maybe think twice about the on board compressor. A little more money but the convenience is worth it.

15. Nov 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    Birdy

Birdy Member

Member:
    Canmore, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    No need to cut off the bump stops, just loosen off the u-bolts a bit and slide the bump-stops out. It is way easier than cutting them off, and you can put them back in if you ever remove the Ride Rite bags. I put Firestone Ride Rite airbags on my 09 a few weeks ago, and they are just what these trucks need.

I didnt go with the Air Lift kit, as they look a bit flimzy and dont apply force directly over the axle where it should be.

16. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    hunter1111

hunter1111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granger Tx
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd 4wd
    I just bought a 2010 tacoma doublecab. Im planning on lifting it 3". I was going to get the tsb then add a leaf. However im wondering if i should just get airbags instead. It seems adding leafs will make a harsher ride,, you think leaving just the stock springs (non tsb 3 leafs ) and adding airbags will take care of the back and give me a softer ride?

17. Dec 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    evil_gandhi

evil_gandhi Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's all the way around, fronts @2.5" (highest) setting. Rear leaf springs from a '91 pickup (1.5" lift). Firestone airbag spring helpers. Doug Thorley ceramic coated Tri-Y header. K&N air filter. Tubular steel front bumper.Much more planned!!!
    I have Firestone airbags on my 95 2.7L and leaf packs from a '91 (stiffer and 1.5" of lift)4x4 They are awesome. I tow a 3000lb single axle travel trailer over the Sierras on the airbags REALLY help eliminate sway when i hit uneven pavement. The '91 springs have the bump stop incorporated into the springpack and conact the frame right behind the spring perch, so there was no need to remove them. when I fill them up to 50lbs of pressure while fully loaded with the trailer the truck rides at the same heigth it does whith 0lbs and unloaded.
    I can't say enough good things about them

18. Jan 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has anyone put these on lifted trucks? Do the make taller bags or spacers for lifted applications?

Products Discussed in

To Top