Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tow ball gets scratched

Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
spieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
spieler's Tacoma Gallery
There is plenty of good grease id dip my balls in, however I have been chafing my balls like crazy for 20 plus years and never had an issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
Whats the point in greasing it? ive been around people towing my whole life and not seen or heard if a single person greasing their tow ball.
It's quiet and I personally do not think there is any good reason to have dry metal on metal for any surfaces that are supposed to slide on each other. I see no point in letting the trailer dig into the ball, it ought to be smooth and slide easily.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It's quiet and I personally do not think there is any good reason to have dry metal on metal for any surfaces that are supposed to slide on each other. I see no point in letting the trailer dig into the ball, it ought to be smooth and slide easily.
I dont have an argument against it so it aint gonna hurt anything. It makes since if your towing really heavy loads i recon.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont have an argument against it so it aint gonna hurt anything. It makes since if your towing really heavy loads i recon.
Honestly, for anything you're going to tow with a ball, I doubt it really makes a difference. I would just hate to have something bind and I hate that 'nails on chaulkboard' sounds you can get when you turn if not using a greased ball. I'm not going to tell you one way is right or wrong, just personal preference. I have no real data to back it up, just opinion
Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Fair enough I could see how it would help.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
I keep my balls lubed, I think it helps cushion the constant day to day jerking motions that they endure. They aren't as good looking as they were when they were new, but considering the wear and tear they still work just fine.
this is the best post ever....
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
I keep a pintle hook on my truck and it didn't come with a chrome ball on it. It was painted Flatt Black. So the first time I used it the paint was gone and it was bare metal. After that I started putting a little 3 in 1 oil on the Ball just to keep it from rusting.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
DavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to all
Name: David
DavidR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
When I don't have anything to lube my balls I sometimes have my wife spit on them. Works surprising well!
Coffee right out my nose, thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Alan84 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Alan
Alan84's Tacoma Gallery
Just put baby powder on them and they'll stay dry.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #31
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
I keep my balls lubed, I think it helps cushion the constant day to day jerking motions that they endure. They aren't as good looking as they were when they were new, but considering the wear and tear they still work just fine.
These responses are hilarious! Subbed for more Lolz.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #32
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Very interesting subject matter. Making my day at work go better.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #33
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whats the point in greasing it? ive been around people towing my whole life and not seen or heard if a single person greasing their tow ball.

makes sitting on it a little easier.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
I have had significant problems with elements and uncovered balls. Unfortunately the cold does tend to shrink them a bit making them unusable until back to appropriate temperature, and I would have to think that prolonged extreme cold could to severe damage, though I have never experienced it myself

Also heat and sun damages as well. I had my balls out while using them at the beach one year and they got some extended sun exposure. Unfortunately they developed a terrible red discoloration and were completely useless for at least a week after that. A unfortunate situation that could have been avoided if I had coated them appropriately.

So I always keep my balls covered in the cold, and well coated if out in the sun👍
Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #35

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmn7 View Post
I have had significant problems with elements and uncovered balls. Unfortunately the cold does tend to shrink them a bit making them unusable until back to appropriate temperature, and I would have to think that prolonged extreme cold could to severe damage, though I have never experienced it myself

Also heat and sun damages as well. I had my balls out while using them at the beach one year and they got some extended sun exposure. Unfortunately they developed a terrible red discoloration and were completely useless for at least a week after that. A unfortunate situation that could have been avoided if I had coated them appropriately.

So I always keep my balls covered in the cold, and well coated if out in the sun��
You also need to be careful with getting sand on your balls when in use. This can make for an unpleasant experience for both your balls and whatever they are mounted to.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #36
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You also need to be careful with getting sand on your balls when in use. This can make for an unpleasant experience for both your balls and whatever they are mounted to.
Very true, enough sand and friction and you may be prevented from mounting all together
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about the scratches, most tow balls look like shit after some use (shitty balls har har har). That's perfectly normal.

I'm not the authority on towing but I do have a bit of exposure...

I don't bother to grease mine... I always end up grabbing the ball when pulling the hitch and getting a handful of grease annoys me... so I run em dry. No issues ever. I think only one of my buddies greases his ball (handful of grease...) and never heard of any issues.

Just my experience...
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #38
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Though I suppose if I was to lube my balls I would use dry moly lube.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Though I suppose if I was to lube my balls I would use dry moly lube.
Well no one else is gonna do it for you.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Well no one else is gonna do it for you.
I guess you could pay someone else to lube them for you but then I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about all the balls that they had lubed.