1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

25ft, 5000lb trailer with a 2012 Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by corgitraveler, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    corgitraveler

corgitraveler [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab Pre-runner w/factory tow pkg
    New to the boards, and getting down to serious research to buy a new Travel Trailer.
    We have a 2012 Taco double cab with the factory tow pkg. Don't yet have, but plan to get before trailer purchase: brake controller and a weight-distributing hitch.

Most of the trailers we like will weigh around 5000lbs loaded and ready to camp, and most are 23-25 ft long.

Is that length too much for the Taco's wheelbase?
    3-4 times a year we'd like to take the trailer into SoCal, which means going over the GrapeVine. So long as we aren't in a hurry, will we be OK on that hill?

2. Sep 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    rotorwind

rotorwind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Your going to get both sides. Some people say no prob & some say you can't do it. Personably I have a 17 foot toy hauler. About 5000 loaded. I've towed it once without any issues. Was able to comfortably go 68 with rpms below 3000. Not many hills on that trip. Next month I'm going on a trip through mountains so ill see how it does. Tacoma isn't the idea tow rig. WDH and brake controller is a must have. Without WDH I'm on the bump stops. With it the rear doesn't sag much.

Wish I had a clear cut answer for you. Read the towing bible on here. Lots of good info. Good luck!

3. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    We were looking at trailers in the same range. Ended up not going that route but did extensive research. What it came down to for us was this -

The tacoma (2013 v6 auto DCSB sport) would probably do it but the towing would not be fun or relaxing. Arriving at the destination beat up from the drive was not an option.

Moving up to tundra was the ticket but could not deal with 10 - 12 in town for a daily driver. Dropped the whole idea after seriously considering our REAL needs and wants.

4. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    zacksblacktaco

zacksblacktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    west virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sport access
    AEM CAI Throttle body spacer Borla cat back exhaust Doug Thorley long tubes RCD 4.5 anzo halo projectors with 4300k hids 12000k hid fogs T-rex stainless mesh mesh grille kit in pro car wear LED taillights & 3rd brake LED reverse lights LED license plate lights LED dome & map lights all Kicker speakers with 15 inch L7 subwoofer Jensen 7inch flipout headunit Trd sport seatcovers Re-badged red Tacoma
    pulled a 14ft trailer with 2800lbs a sand the other day and I was surprised how well my taco did combined weight was 4000lbs so with some stabilizer bars id say give it a try...
    I would, whats the worst that could happen?

5. Sep 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    GaryArt1

GaryArt1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Bohemia, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4.0 DCLB 4x4
    I pull a travel trailer that is 30' and 6000 gross. The taco does an admirable job towing it. It is pushing it to max but I feel safe towing it. I have the long bed so the extra length helps. I would definitely look into a wd hitch with sway control. I have the dual cam setup but equalizer is just as good. A good brake controller is a must. Buy a progressive one. I also added an extra transmission cooler though the towing package comes with one. It helps keep the tranny temps down on hills. Think about some towing mirrors and maybe airbags if the rear sags. With a little added, the taco is a very capable tow vehicle for the half dozen times I tow a year and doesn't kill me at the gas pumps the rest of the year. I think if I was towing that weight daily, I would look for full size but for the few vacation trips, it is perfect for me.

6. Sep 2, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    The weight is not so much the issue. It is the DRAG that you will be having to deal with. It all depends how windy your trip will be on any given day. The drag will kill your MPGs and will make your take twice as long to get to your destination. On a windy day, with a full load, you will be pushing your transmission very hard. I pull a lowboy and a 16'enclosed trailer which sticks up about four feet above my Tacoma. It is hell trying to go anywhere far with that enclosed trailer. It can be done, don't get me wrong but it will be a challenge with wind/drag. In my opinion

7. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I have towed more than 6500lbs with my Taco. Short distance in city of course. I can tell you couple of things I know for sure

1, your mpg will suck about 8-9mpg
    2, you will have no power
    3, leave yourself enough distance to brake

8. Sep 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Towing 5000 lbs of travel trailer is not anything like towing a flat bed trailer with 5000 pounds total weight. Side winds will be a problem, they can toss around the trailer and youll feel that in the lighter and smaller truck. Wind drag too. If you're going to be going up through northern Cali and Southern Oregon, get used to being in 1st gear and in high RPM.

This thread is another reason why a 4.6L Tundra exists, and the reason that I bought my 05 Tundra instead of a 2013 Toycoma TRD TXpro I was looking at.

9. Sep 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    Before TW I had pulled a 14' V-Nose trailer with my taco. Electric brakes. And the truck and trailer loaded weighed 9000 pounds. NEVER AGAIN. I kept a steady 70 MPH but only 7 MPG... I have since became older and wiser. I will have a bigger truck if I need to do that.

10. Sep 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts
    The GrapeVine is no joke. You'll get a lot of differing opinions, but your Taco will definitely pull it...but I wouldn't do it with mine. That would be one tough trip on your truck, and you, as you fight the hills, crosswinds and curves. Your truck will definitely tow it, but towing a camper that size/weight in that terrain is a job much better suited for a full-size truck. I say that but every day I'm amazed at what I see folks towing on here. Good luck and keep us posted.

11. Sep 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4755577 Show us what you tow.

27' TT around 6k loaded. Prodigy P3 controller, Reese dual cam WDH and load E tires. Been on about 25 trips around 100-150 miles each way. Good grades and plenty of highway and surface streets. On the highway in 4th gear the scan gauge says around 13-15 average for the trip. I haven't actually crunched numbers but very happy with truck and handling.

12. Sep 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Werpennstate

Werpennstate Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCABLB Sport Pyrite Mica
    A Blue OX WDH (so easy to use) and a brake controller and you would be good. You might want to look at a Hybrid, or Ultra light trailer. Ours is a 24' Coachmen TQX hybrid and weights in at less than 4400 lbs. The Tacoma does a great job pulling it, plus all our gear, kids, and dogs. Getting 15/16 mpg's.

13. Sep 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    fla taco

fla taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Dblcab TRD OR
    ^^ x2 on the Blue Ox WDH and brake controller. We have a Keystone Ultra light TT that is 22 ft. (25' tip to tail) 4290 pounds dry. My 05 TRD OR short bed auto handled it in stride. My wife and I along with one of our dogs and our gear were loaded up the truck.

Drove in 4th and maintained 65 mph. No sway even when 18wheelers passed. I do have Firestone ride rites installed and inflated to 35lbs so there was no sag at all.

I am towing in Florida so it is mostly flat land towing. Don't be in a hurry and drive defensively. Make sure your brake controller is properly set.

14. Sep 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    corgitraveler

corgitraveler [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab Pre-runner w/factory tow pkg
    Thanks for all the input. Next question would be the best WDH, and best brake controller.
    The trailer we are currently looking at is 22 feet from hitch receiver to back bumper, the trailer "box" is about 18 feet, so a little shorter than I originally guessed. It weighs 3800 dry, so we should be able to keep it under 5000 even loaded to camp. The Taco itself will have driver, passenger, and 3 dogs in the back. Our main use for the trailer is that the wife competes with the dogs in herding and agility trials.

Our previous RV was a 1988 motorhome that was was a nightmare to drive, even after adding some mods...no stranger to being tossed about by wind and passing trucks, to say the least!

15. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Do it. You should be ok!

16. Sep 4, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
  17. Sep 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    For what its worth i tow my car hauler with my tacoma, from my house to my home town (500 miles) i go through the flint hills which are not mountains but have some long decent inclines. my trailer weighs 1900 lbs with no tools, and about 2100 with the tools in the box. With one of my old toyotas loaded (3200 ish lbs) spare tires (truck, trailer, play truck) and the normal assortment of gear ( jack, winch, chains, tensioners, cooler, 2x 5 gal fuel cans, 5 gal water, 2 cynder blocks and my ramps @ 65 lbs each) i average 12.6 mpg in my 2013 with the 6spd. I run a little tounge heavy because of the tool box (knack box welded on the front) is heavy. And i generaly tow in 5th gear 1:1 ratio. I have trailer brakes normally but they are currently broken, and 5 leaf spring pack in the back. The truck tows great and i could not be happier, accept i want my trailer brakes fixed!

the user that mentioned wind drag is right, it makes a big difference and here in kansas its windy as hell. the manual is so much nicer than the auto was.

In my 2012 auto i averaged about 10.5 mpg and the truck worked harder but i never had any issues with overheating or anything else. The one time i was in a hurry with a full load (75-80 mph) i got less than 10mpg and had no overheating but the truck did hunt for gears if i was in normal drive and not in 4th gear.

I have towed with 1st gen taco's extra cab, double cab and regular cab (3rz and 5vz no 2rz), 79-83 toyotas, 84-88 yota's, 89-95, with both 3.slow and 22re (i would rather the 22re) a 3.slow 4runner, 2000 landcruiser (6 mpg), 2004 dodge 2500 cummins auto, 86 ford f250 6.9 idi 4spd, 93 ford f350 7.3 auto, 2002 chevy 1500 v8 auto, 2000? f550 dumptruck 7.3 7speed, military vehicles and a 2004 tundra v8. and a 2007 tundra 5.7

one of my favorites is the tacoma for the same reasons, decent fuel economy and i love the truck and for the occasional towing it does great. The 2nd gen tacomas are way better and happier than any older toyota trucks (including that stupid 2004 tundra)

I would be comfortable towing a 5000lb 25 ft camper, i would expect 10-11 mpg and would want trailer brakes. and i wouldnt expect it to be fast but i would trust it to get me wherever i was headed and be safe doing it. The tacoma is lighter than a full size for being pushed around but the 2nd gen is no feather wieght either and has a lot more ass than a 89-95 toyota.

Best thing i can recommend is find one similar and give a tow and see how it feels to you :)

as for a distributing hitch i still have the factory hitch, havent tried one since im happy with what i have

trailer brake controller, well i cant tell you what i have because i have moved it from truck to truck for years and there are no stickers or markings on it. but any reputible brand of progressive controller would do just fine. and the 2nd gen taco even has the wires already ran for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top