Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing 2 horses and Trailer

Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
johanneshoogenboom is on a distinguished road
johanneshoogenboom's Tacoma Gallery
Towing 2 horses and Trailer

Hey All

Alright so I am thinking about buying a Dbl Cab, TRD, 2008, Automatic Tacoma. My fiance and I have horses that we like to take into the mountains on weekends. The Trailer weight is about 3200lbs and the horses together are about 2400lbs. Plus, lets say, 400lbs in gear that can go in the box or trailer.

Firstly is this too much weight for the TRD? Engine, transmission and tow capacity wise?

Next if it isn't, what should I upgrade/get? WD hitch? new springs/leafs in the back? bigger brakes? mod chips? supercharger? life insurance?

Finally, I am pretty sure that I want trailer brakes on this thing, how easy is the 2nd Gen Tacoma to rig up for trailer brakes?

Thanks all
-Marc
Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the tow limit onthat like 6500? if so you are pretty much there, you may need to look into something bigger. Something like the Tundra with the supercharger
Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Bambigular will become famous soon enough
Bambigular's Tacoma Gallery
I won't try, your going to tow the max of what the truck is rated for and going up hill to the mountains. It will tow the trailer but not very good and adding all the extra stress on the motor and tranny is not wise but do what you must.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Yeah...If you are going to be moving that much around REGULARLY you are very nearly at the max weight for towing and nearly at the GVWR too. With the towing package-6500lbs is the max.
I'd look for something bigger....No sense in spending the money for a truck and then having to mod the hell out of it to do what you want with it.

For that much trailer-brakes and a WD hitch are a great idea. And a tow brake controller set up is easily wired up for the Taco.

Good luck figuring out what you want.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
Damn what kind of trailer do you have?

I tow a three horse slant featherlite with two horses and all our gear all the time. I weighed the loaded trailer on the local scale, came in just under 5000 lbs...
I have no problems. I am not in a hurry though!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
johanneshoogenboom is on a distinguished road
johanneshoogenboom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muliefever View Post
Damn what kind of trailer do you have?

I tow a three horse slant featherlite with two horses and all our gear all the time. I weighed the loaded trailer on the local scale, came in just under 5000 lbs...
I have no problems. I am not in a hurry though!
Well that was the first 2 horse trailer I saw when I was looking them up on the internets. I'm sure i could find a lighter one, but just spit balling thats all. I assume you're towing/hauling feed and tack as well. What kind of tranny do you have?

And while most of the time I am in hurry, when its comes to her horses I don't think my fiance would let drive in my usual "holy wood chase scene" mode, so speeds should be normal

Thanks for your reply
Old 03-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Jonl9
jonl9 is on a distinguished road

jonl9's Tacoma Gallery
First, if you buy a new Tacoma, be sure to get the towing option, THAT gives you the 6500 pound towing limit. You get the carrier, trans oil cooler, engine oil cooler and heavy duty alternator and battery. You also get all the wiring to the connector for the trailer and adding a brake controller is usually a simple plug into the truck with an adaptor that will come with the Tacoma.

Most rv boards will recommend that you keep your towed weight at or less than 80% of the recommended tow limit. You can do more, but it could be a frustrating tow.

By all means consider a weight distribution hitch and a sway control of some kind for that kind of load.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 16' trailer. It is about 1800lbs. Just get a AAL for the rear and you'll be fine. I have the automatic. If you were spending alot of your time hauling in the Mountains, I would get a bigger truck. It can be done. just don't rush it!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about
Marines: Cpl 105 Howitzer Btry
05silverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanneshoogenboom View Post
Hey All

Alright so I am thinking about buying a Dbl Cab, TRD, 2008, Automatic Tacoma. My fiance and I have horses that we like to take into the mountains on weekends. The Trailer weight is about 3200lbs and the horses together are about 2400lbs. Plus, lets say, 400lbs in gear that can go in the box or trailer.

Firstly is this too much weight for the TRD? Engine, transmission and tow capacity wise?

Next if it isn't, what should I upgrade/get? WD hitch? new springs/leafs in the back? bigger brakes? mod chips? supercharger? life insurance?

Finally, I am pretty sure that I want trailer brakes on this thing, how easy is the 2nd Gen Tacoma to rig up for trailer brakes?

Thanks all
-Marc

Marc

A tacoma will handle it just take it slow as you know towing live animals will slow you down some anyway. Get a good W/D hitch and brake controller.
I had a F350 4dr 4wd dually that I towed a 5 horse with 5 in it regularly.
Going up grades will be slower than if your only towing a TT but not too bad.

vince
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
gallopping girl is on a distinguished road
gallopping girl's Tacoma Gallery
If you like your truck i wouldnt use it for towing that much weight. Its the upper limit! Better to buy a lightweight trailer, like a Brenderup, which weighs 1500lbs. Normal level street towing is ok but going uphills will wear the truck.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
So, you want to buy someone else's used Toyota to tow a lot of weight.
Why don't you buy a Dodge? it is cheaper.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
I pull 2 different 12 foot cargo trailers. I have a TRD Off Road, automatic.

I only pull a few days of the year. If I had to use it more and loaded, to it's max; I would get a Tundra, if I stayed in the Toyota family.

Two horses, plus your gear, and your trailer; just about puts you at the max gvw.

Why take a chance, with your horses; to be right at the max for the Tacoma.

I would err on the side of safety; you are right at the point of being too heavy.

A lot of people think, that if you can pull it it is fine; those people never towed anything heavy. We move heavy machinery; but not with a Tacoma. Stopping and handling are the important factors.

oldracer