Notices

what to pic travel trailer size

Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
tommyboy123 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AIR GUARD
Name: mark
tommyboy123's Tacoma Gallery
what to pic travel trailer size

I have read the Bible and would like to know what size travel trailer i can get and be comfortable pulling? have 2013 prerunner v6 with tow package and will have ele tow brakes and sway control and weight distrabution hitch thanks so much Tommyboy123
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
fla taco is on a distinguished road

fla taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm towing a '14 Keystone Passport ultra light 21' tt (overall 25' tip to tail). I have a blue ox wdh and a prodigy brake controller. Really like the blue ox and would highly recommend one. The dry weight is reported to be 4200lbs. We don't load it down and travel light. My 05 TRD OR dbl cab handles it well. I have added Firestone ride rites to keep the truck level (inflate to 35 to 40 lbs when tt hooked up). I'm towing in Florida so it is mostly flat land towing. Most trips are my wife, one or two of the pups and me.

I take it easy and don't push past 65mph while towing despite being able to. I do not tow in OD and keep it in 4th. Gas mileage sucks while towing....10mpgs.....or less. Can feel the truck lag on inclines but nothing too crazy.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
tommyboy123 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AIR GUARD
Name: mark
tommyboy123's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so much really appreicate the input this does help
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
ANoodle is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
ANoodle's Tacoma Gallery
I am purchasing a 2007 Fleet trailer, the dry weight is 4000lbs and maybe 800lbs of stuff. Plus 400lbs in family so total weight around 5200. My Max was 23 ft long from hitch to rear bumpers, just depends on what you will be taking with you
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
I decided on a 16 ft Kodiak hybrid. 2014 166E model. 3100 lbs dry weight. It has fore and aft fold out queen beds (60x80 inches), so it's a 26-footer opened up, 16-footer closed for traveling.

What I like about it is you have a short trailer, but opened up you have privacy fore and aft for two couples so there can be some whatnot going on and it's not right next to your ear like with other short trailers.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
dgtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: dg
dgtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
coleman tent trailer

I pull a Fleetwood Yuma 1500lb. and I need to keep slowing down. Would like to get a small hybrid some day.. but pulling a popup is hard to beat. and they open up so roomy!! has fridge heater running hot & cold water outside shower outside bbq..
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtacoma View Post
I pull a Fleetwood Yuma 1500lb. and I need to keep slowing down. Would like to get a small hybrid some day.. but pulling a popup is hard to beat. and they open up so roomy!! has fridge heater running hot & cold water outside shower outside bbq..
I'd love to have the ease of towing a popup, but I decided on the hybrid for the conveniences of a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, inside shower, more inside storage when traveling. This thing actually does pretty well offroad also, I've had it in some places you'd think no way that trailer makes it, but it does pretty darn well. What I need to do is put some 15" wheels on it, I think Toyota 15" wheels with the 4.5" 5-lug pattern will fit well on it, and that gives maybe 2" more ground clearance.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
These trucks can pull a lot. I want to say that if you want to be most comfortable, something along the lines of 5000 lbs wet would be ideal (if not less). That roughly puts you around the 23' - 24' mark for TTs. Again, ROUGHLY.

But there are so many other variables with towing. If you're going through high mountains and if you're going to be pulling a majority of the year, the a full size truck would probably better suit your needs, that or get a lighter trailer. But for the occasional, maybe 3-5 trips per year, a 5000 lb TT would be just fine.