Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Odd trailer lighting issue just occurred

Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Odd trailer lighting issue just occurred

So Sunday I was towing my boat. Lil boat no more than 400 lbs behind me. Anyways when i turned on my turn signal my dash and radio started to flash with the signal. When I hit the brakes same thing they would dim. What would cause this issue
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
So Sunday I was towing my boat. Lil boat no more than 400 lbs behind me. Anyways when i turned on my turn signal my dash and radio started to flash with the signal. When I hit the brakes same thing they would dim. What would cause this issue
I have never heard of that. Is it a new truck? Has it worked in the past, or is the the first time towing with this truck?

I would get another trailer that you know works fine, or hook your trailer up to a buddy's truck that you know works fine and try to figure out if the problem is in the trailer or the truck.

Are you under warranty and able to duplicate the problem?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Ground short. Is this a plug and play trailer wire harness?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I would bet the issue is on the trailer. Watch to be sure it only happens when trailer is hooked up. When it does happen unplug the trailer to see if it stops
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I have never heard of that. Is it a new truck? Has it worked in the past, or is the the first time towing with this truck?

I would get another trailer that you know works fine, or hook your trailer up to a buddy's truck that you know works fine and try to figure out if the problem is in the trailer or the truck.

Are you under warranty and able to duplicate the problem?
I have towed many times with this and no problems. I think it is the trailer. It is about that time of year again for some new lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Ground short. Is this a plug and play trailer wire harness?
Yes its a plug and play. I will check the ground spot for a bad connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
I would bet the issue is on the trailer. Watch to be sure it only happens when trailer is hooked up. When it does happen unplug the trailer to see if it stops
I think its the trailer because it is only when the trailer is hooked up. I have played with the plug on the trailer side and I think that is where the problem is
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
lock is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
lock's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of the control box on the aftermarket trailer wiring going bad, before redoing your trailer lights I would hook up to a different trailer to make sure it's the lights.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock View Post
I have heard of the control box on the aftermarket trailer wiring going bad, before redoing your trailer lights I would hook up to a different trailer to make sure it's the lights.
That will usually cause problems when the trailer is not plugged in.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
The Sailing Memebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock View Post
The box is good just pulled another trailer today preparing for Tropical Storm Karen and no issues.