Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Hello everyone, in a little bit of a panic...

Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Hello everyone, in a little bit of a panic...

Hi everyone, new here. I need some help. Tonight I sold a kidney for a nice 2011Tacoma double cab, 4L V6, 5spd auto, 4x4. When I asked the dealer what the tow cap is they assured me it had to be the 6500 rating. But I keep seeing the 3500 number on all the literature I see. This scares me. I leave Thursday with my 4000lb trailer for camping in PA.

It has what looks to be a factory class IV hitch on it with the wiring harness. Also I don't see a brake controller anywhere. Is it automatic? I also don't see a tow haul mode either. Is it simply keeping the auto shifter over to 4?

Sorry for the noobness. I thank you VERY MUCH in advance!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
eazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud ofeazyrider711 has much to be proud of

eazyrider711's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195...I2WBJ65X9ZLHXF

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3040-...I2M573NGZHHHYD

Pay for overnight shipping and you'll will get wed/thurs. You are wired up for the controller, but you do not have a brake controller from the factory.

I've read that the rating is 6500, so I think you'll be fine there. Also, check out the Towing subforum. Lots of info there.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Aahh I have that wire still in the bag in the glove box. I guess I need to pick up the controller. Luckily there is a big rv store about a 15 minute walk from me.

As far as the tow/haul mode I don't see, am I correct about the auto shifter placement?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Additionally, can anyone state why there are two towing weight capacities listed? For info purposes, I have a weight distributing hitch with the 4point sway setup.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
ltsr is on a distinguished road
ltsr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
Additionally, can anyone state why there are two towing weight capacities listed? For info purposes, I have a weight distributing hitch with the 4point sway setup.
I believe that's because Tacomas without the tow package get the lower rating.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aahh I have that wire still in the bag in the glove box. I guess I need to pick up the controller. Luckily there is a big rv store about a 15 minute walk from me.

As far as the tow/haul mode I don't see, am I correct about the auto shifter placement?
As far as i know you're correct on the shifter placement.

Whenever i tow with any vehicle i always turn O/D off.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
OK, where in the heck is the wiring connection under the dash??? Its eluding me. Is that white plug with the black cover with "OBD" or similar on it?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 2nd gen V6 doesn't have a tow setting for higher shift points. I also don't believe it has an overdrive. If you have the factory tow package (and it sounds like you do) you should have the transmission cooler. Just put it in your regular driving mode, unless you are going down a steep hill then you can can downshift to engine brake.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Crazyblackdog is on a distinguished road
Crazyblackdog's Tacoma Gallery
The owners manual says to tow in 4. The connector for the trailer brake is on the left hand side up near the e-brake. I had to lie on my back to see it and had a hard time reaching my hand up to make the connection. I have big hands though. If you have the towing package you are good to 6500. I tow my 4700 travel trailer with weight distribution hitch no problem. Mileage sucks though.
The port with OBD on it, is for the On Board Diagnostics.
The first photo shows the plug, it was behind that bundle of wires when I was looking for it.
The second photo shows the plug in relation to the e-brake pedal.
Sorry the photos are sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello everyone, in a little bit of a panic...-img_0385.jpg   Hello everyone, in a little bit of a panic...-img_0386.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not all Tacomas come with the factory receiver. The ones that don't have to tow from the bumper unless an aftermarket receiver is added. When towing from the bumper, the capacity is reduced to a 350# tongue weight and 3,500 capacity. The tow package gets you a transmission cooler (autos), HD alternator, class IV receiver and some of the wiring for a trailer.

As far as towing, the manual says to tow in 4. Around town and at slower speeds, I would leave it in 4. For highway speeds, you can tow in D as long as it's not constantly hunting for gears. Since you're in PA, if you're towing on the highway in the mountain regions, just use 4 and take your time. On the flats, D will be fine.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Aha! Found it! Yes it was hiding there like your pics showed. Thanks so much crazy! I connected it and will go get the controller tomorrow or the next day.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
As far as towing, the manual says to tow in 4. Around town and at slower speeds, I would leave it in 4.
Oh, no kidding? I guess I should read that manual! So I assume that if the transmission is in 4, it still uses 1-3 before lugging the engine? Say, I come to a stop and I can leave the stop in 4, it will not use only the 4th gear ratio, it will start off in 1st and then upshift to 4? Am I making sense?

I always thought that if you shouldn't be in 4 from a dead stop, but I guess it's not like a manual trans.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Oh, no kidding? I guess I should read that manual! So I assume that if the transmission is in 4, it still uses 1-3 before lugging the engine? Say, I come to a stop and I can leave the stop in 4, it will not use only the 4th gear ratio, it will start off in 1st and then upshift to 4? Am I making sense?

I always thought that if you shouldn't be in 4 from a dead stop, but I guess it's not like a manual trans.
With an automatic, you can leave it in any gear and it will shift normal up to that gear and that's as high as it goes. Say you're at a stop with the gear selector in '4', it will shift normally, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 and that's it, it won't shift into 5th. Same is true with 1, 2 and 3, it just limits how high it will let the transmission shift.

For slow speed driving, you're better off leaving it in 4 because, until you hit highway speeds, it will just keep shifting between 4 and 5, constantly trying to get up to 5th but not having the power to stay there. That constant shifting and slipping of the torque convertor will generate a lot of heat. If you stay in 4, the torque convertor can lock up and the truck will have plenty of power to cruise.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Not all autos are like that Mike, on my moms explorer if you put it in 3 it locks into 3rd gear.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Not all autos are like that Mike, on my moms explorer if you put it in 3 it locks into 3rd gear.
Correct, I was responding to the guy with the 2013 asking though. It's true for all 2nd Gen autos but I guess I should have clarified that other makes could be different.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Was just reading the towing section of the manual the other day. They have a lot to say about when to use 2-3-4 instead of D.

And x2 on the bumper hitch = 3500 tow package/receiver = 6500.