1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's had there tow ball stolen?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Alan84, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Oct 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Alan84

Alan84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab Trd Off Road 4x4
    So I just saw that my tow ball was stolen. I know they only cost 25 bucks but just the fact that it was taken from me really pissed me off. What makes it worst was that it was stolen will parked in a military base. I thought people didn't steal here I guess I was wrong. Anybody else get theirs stolen? Looks like next time I'll have to pay the 10 bucks extra to get a lock.:mad:

2. Oct 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That sucks. I don't leave mine on the truck unless something is attached to it.

3. Oct 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Are you kidding? I used to do contract work for the Navy. Entire computer systems would disappear from rooms. I'm talking tower, keyboard, mouse, cables, & monitor. They would even take the stupid Navy mouse pad.

4. Oct 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    mouse pads are important for grip and proper mouse use...just sayin...

5. Oct 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Tacoma VT

Tacoma VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    More things get stolen on base than anywhere else. IMO

6. Oct 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Poodle Head Mikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    utility cap, ladder rack, frame hitch, sliding bed
    I take them off trucks if they might bash me in the leg but leave them in the receiver on anything else. After 40 years of that, in NJ, I've never had one go missing. He, on the other hand, always removes his - and he has never had one taken either. <g>

It started because he asked me what kind of pin lock I used. He was amazed to learn that I just use a standard pin and have never lost one.

Bases have little sense of community - being essentially filled with strangers - nobody is really 'from there' - so I would suspect that more theft would go on. I wouldn't like buying the pin lock or the idea that I felt like I lived where it was a requirement - but if you are going to be there you either have to lock it or stow it. Although I think I would stow it instead of locking it.

Good luck.

PHM
    -------

7. Oct 12, 2013 at 4:56 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I use a locking pin and generally leave the tow ball in all summer when I do the most towing. In the winter I have a D-Ring receiver insert that I secure with the locking pin; makes it easier/safer to hook up the tow strap when I do my Good Samaritan thing pulling stuck folks outta the ditch or snow bank.

Before I got the D-Ring, I had picked up a receiver plug cover with a picture of a moose on it (matched my license plate which is my tag on here); it got stolen on base from the BX parking lot. And I was in the BX less than 20 mins...go figure. :mad: & :(

8. Oct 12, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    Tommiet

Tommiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charlotte Area
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I also only use it when towing and store it in the storage box in the bed.

9. Oct 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    A3umph

A3umph Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    I always keep mine out of the hitch and stored when not in use. Keeps me from busting my shin on it, plus many years ago I left mine always in on my Jeep Wagoneer and when I needed to swap from drop to rise to pull a different trailer I found it had rusted in. Years of road grime and water getting between the hitch and receiver seized it solid. I ended up hooking to a tree and yanking it out. Since then I always remove it and use a cheap plastic plug in the hitch.

10. Oct 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    Never :) But i have a lock! thank god lol

11. Oct 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    acmesupply

acmesupply New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Just a suggestion. Drill a hole through the bottom threads below where the bolt and lock washer are. Use a stainless steel lock with a short shank that just fits and has enough length to lock. The hardest part is drilling but just start with a small bit and work up to the size hole you want. Just use a lot of oil to keep the bit cool and for better cutting. Its hard to saw off and the shank is hard to cut with bolt cutters due to the lock fitting tight to the shank.

12. Oct 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    acmesupply

acmesupply New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Looking from the bottom

IMG_20131013_100052_301.jpg

13. Oct 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    BillJC

BillJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I don't leave my in the receiver, but when I do, I'm not really worried about it being stolen. The torque spec is 250lbs and I put loctite on it as well. I tried to remove the ball and could barely budge the nut. My old Putnam dual tow also solved the issue by being welded in place. :) It's a similar setup the pic below only it's an adjustable drop.

[​IMG]

14. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    i've had one stolen at a bar, worst part was I could see my truck from where I was sitting, must have happened when I got up to take a leak. conversation was pretty dry that night, so I kept looking at my truck.

worst part was, I had just gotten a locking pin and everything, it was sitting in my door pocket, I just hadn't put it on that day yet

15. Oct 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I had the nut stolen of my my old nissan, but they left the ball in the bumper. Never could figure that one out.

16. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    egres

egres Well-Known Member

Member:
    DELCO PA
    Vehicle:
    13 singel cab - 2WD - manual - 17K before tax:)
    Bench-seat covers $180 (Can't believe its not leather),Bed Liner $375 (Bed rug), Roof rack $180 (Rhino-rack 2500 Series, plus DK clamps and pads), Modified Bed extender $85 (Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender), Hood lift assist $80 (RedlineTuning), Hood light $53 (tacomaworld.com âtacodaneâ), Hitch receiver $120 (Curt Manufacturing 13323 Class III Receiver), T connector for trailer $43 (CURT Manufacturing 55513 T-Connector), Manuel tailgate lock $30 (gatekeeper tailgate lock), Tailgate assist $28 (Sachs SG329900EZ Lift Support), Tailgate lock $67 (Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Tailgate Lock PL5301), Spare tire lock $12 (Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock), Hardwired battery float charger $20 (Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps) , Vin # Glass etching $33 (vinguard.org), Easy oil drain plug $30 (Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve), Floor mats $80 (Husky Liners 2-Piece Front Liner 2-Piece Front Liner), out of space :)
    +1 in Trenton NJ. Was parked for 30 min. Now I got a lock...

17. Mar 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '14 DC PreRunner TRD
    I keep mine locked in the receiver. I have been hit 3 times from dumb asses not paying attention. Every time they have hit the hitch and not made it to the truck. One time a mustang smacked me good in Cabellas parking lot. Hitch poked right through his bumper, not a scratch on my truck.

I use a B&W hitch, so I don't have to worry about somebody trying to steal the ball alone. Best $300 I have spent, in protection alone, not even thinking about towing.

18. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    navin

navin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harbor Freight has a coupon deal for their 3 ball 2" set up. About $23 with the coupon. 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16".

It figures as I just bought the 2 ball one for $20, lost the receipt and no exchange without! Drat!

Add their hitch lock for $10. The balls are welded on so you should be able to hold onto it.

Products Discussed in

To Top