Notices

Who's had there tow ball stolen?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Alan84 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Alan
Alan84's Tacoma Gallery
Who's had there tow ball stolen?

So I just saw that my tow ball was stolen. I know they only cost 25 bucks but just the fact that it was taken from me really pissed me off. What makes it worst was that it was stolen will parked in a military base. I thought people didn't steal here I guess I was wrong. Anybody else get theirs stolen? Looks like next time I'll have to pay the 10 bucks extra to get a lock.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks. I don't leave mine on the truck unless something is attached to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan84 View Post
So I just saw that my tow ball was stolen. I know they only cost 25 bucks but just the fact that it was taken from me really pissed me off. What makes it worst was that it was stolen will parked in a military base. I thought people didn't steal here I guess I was wrong. Anybody else get theirs stolen? Looks like next time I'll have to pay the 10 bucks extra to get a lock.
Are you kidding? I used to do contract work for the Navy. Entire computer systems would disappear from rooms. I'm talking tower, keyboard, mouse, cables, & monitor. They would even take the stupid Navy mouse pad.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Are you kidding? I used to do contract work for the Navy. Entire computer systems would disappear from rooms. I'm talking tower, keyboard, mouse, cables, & monitor. They would even take the stupid Navy mouse pad.
mouse pads are important for grip and proper mouse use...just sayin...
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Tacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud of

Army: 14J, 3rd ID
Name: Kessler
Tacoma VT's Tacoma Gallery
More things get stolen on base than anywhere else. IMO
Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Poodle Head Mikey is on a distinguished road
Poodle Head Mikey's Tacoma Gallery
I was just talking to my son about that

I take them off trucks if they might bash me in the leg but leave them in the receiver on anything else. After 40 years of that, in NJ, I've never had one go missing. He, on the other hand, always removes his - and he has never had one taken either. <g>

It started because he asked me what kind of pin lock I used. He was amazed to learn that I just use a standard pin and have never lost one.

Bases have little sense of community - being essentially filled with strangers - nobody is really 'from there' - so I would suspect that more theft would go on. I wouldn't like buying the pin lock or the idea that I felt like I lived where it was a requirement - but if you are going to be there you either have to lock it or stow it. Although I think I would stow it instead of locking it.

Good luck.

PHM
-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan84 View Post
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
I use a locking pin and generally leave the tow ball in all summer when I do the most towing. In the winter I have a D-Ring receiver insert that I secure with the locking pin; makes it easier/safer to hook up the tow strap when I do my Good Samaritan thing pulling stuck folks outta the ditch or snow bank.

Before I got the D-Ring, I had picked up a receiver plug cover with a picture of a moose on it (matched my license plate which is my tag on here); it got stolen on base from the BX parking lot. And I was in the BX less than 20 mins...go figure. &
Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
I also only use it when towing and store it in the storage box in the bed.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
I always keep mine out of the hitch and stored when not in use. Keeps me from busting my shin on it, plus many years ago I left mine always in on my Jeep Wagoneer and when I needed to swap from drop to rise to pull a different trailer I found it had rusted in. Years of road grime and water getting between the hitch and receiver seized it solid. I ended up hooking to a tree and yanking it out. Since then I always remove it and use a cheap plastic plug in the hitch.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Never But i have a lock! thank god lol
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
acmesupply is on a distinguished road
acmesupply's Tacoma Gallery
Just a suggestion. Drill a hole through the bottom threads below where the bolt and lock washer are. Use a stainless steel lock with a short shank that just fits and has enough length to lock. The hardest part is drilling but just start with a small bit and work up to the size hole you want. Just use a lot of oil to keep the bit cool and for better cutting. Its hard to saw off and the shank is hard to cut with bolt cutters due to the lock fitting tight to the shank.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
acmesupply is on a distinguished road
acmesupply's Tacoma Gallery
Looking from the bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Who's had there tow ball stolen?-img_20131013_100052_301.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
I don't leave my in the receiver, but when I do, I'm not really worried about it being stolen. The torque spec is 250lbs and I put loctite on it as well. I tried to remove the ball and could barely budge the nut. My old Putnam dual tow also solved the issue by being welded in place. It's a similar setup the pic below only it's an adjustable drop.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
i've had one stolen at a bar, worst part was I could see my truck from where I was sitting, must have happened when I got up to take a leak. conversation was pretty dry that night, so I kept looking at my truck.

worst part was, I had just gotten a locking pin and everything, it was sitting in my door pocket, I just hadn't put it on that day yet
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Artruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Artruck's Tacoma Gallery
I had the nut stolen of my my old nissan, but they left the ball in the bumper. Never could figure that one out.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
Phildo is on a distinguished road
Name: Phil
Phildo's Tacoma Gallery
I keep mine locked in the receiver. I have been hit 3 times from dumb asses not paying attention. Every time they have hit the hitch and not made it to the truck. One time a mustang smacked me good in Cabellas parking lot. Hitch poked right through his bumper, not a scratch on my truck.

I use a B&W hitch, so I don't have to worry about somebody trying to steal the ball alone. Best $300 I have spent, in protection alone, not even thinking about towing.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
navin is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Ret.
navin's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight has a coupon deal for their 3 ball 2" set up. About $23 with the coupon. 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16".

It figures as I just bought the 2 ball one for $20, lost the receipt and no exchange without! Drat!

Add their hitch lock for $10. The balls are welded on so you should be able to hold onto it.