Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Prodigy vs P3

Old 03-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
PropJet has a spectacular aura aboutPropJet has a spectacular aura about
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
Prodigy vs P3

I need some advice on a brake controller. I've never towed anything large enough to require a controller, and therefore have no experience with them. However, I will be renting a 19' travel trailer this summer, and the rental place requires a controller to be used. Although they rent the controller for $35, I'm thinking that I'd just rather buy my own, in case I have a need for one on down the road.

With what little research I've done, it seems the Tekonsha Prodigy and P3 consistently seem to get high marks. For those of you with more knowledge / experience with controllers than I, what would you recommend? What advantages does the P3 offer over the Prodigy? How easy is it going to be to set up, given the fact that the first time I use it will be when I pick up the trailer? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
canadiankid is on a distinguished road
canadiankid's Tacoma Gallery
I have the P3. It was very easy to set up (just mount it and plug it in *I have the tow package with my truck thou). If you search on e-bay you can find a good deal on these (around 120) if you opt for the Prodigy then about 80-90. RVwholesalers is a great place to buy these as well. I got the P3 because I will be using it a decent amount and what is an extra 30-40 dollars in the long run to get the best. The P3 is a little smaller and can change the color of the display as well.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
We have the Prodigy. It's easy to setup. The slider & dials allow you to set the braking force (so to speak) and there are 3 different boost settings. The slider is awesome to reach down and engage the trailer brakes anytime you want.

I don't have any experience with the P3 - so I can't compare the two.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
yotapainter is on a distinguished road

yotapainter's Tacoma Gallery
My $.02, Coming from a 1 ton Diesel to the Tacoma...Go Prodigy. I have one and love it. Tow a car hauler and a camper, Once its set, forget it. The weight was close to the same for both of them loaded, so I didn't have to reset. If you tow two diffrent trailers with way diffrent weights, theny you have to reset....but it dosen't take long at all.

All the guys on the Dodge Diesel forums love them too....Not to knock the Tacomas, but Those guys tow some stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
ofrd4fun is on a distinguished road
ofrd4fun's Tacoma Gallery
I have the P3 because it was only $30 more than the prodigy. It displays voltage and has a few more diagnostic features as well.