1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recovery/Tow Straps

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by phil217, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Nov 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    phil217

phil217 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Silver Tacoma

I am new to the whole Recovery/Tow strap thing. I wanted topurchase a good strap and have found some good info on the forums (ARB,Wheeler, etc). My question is where do you guys hook up the D rings either tothe back or front of the Tacoma?

Also, If towing someone else out, where would you attach thestrap on the other vehicle? Would you attach another Ring?

Thanks!

2. Nov 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    First thing is there is a difference between a tow strap and recovery strap. Youll want to use a tow strap for simple type towing (like on road type use). A recovery strap (AKA snatch strap) is used for stuck vehicles and they are made to give a little stretch to use kenetic energy to help get the stuck vehicle out. Keep in mind a TOW strap will have HOOKS and will not stretch and are dangerous if yanked on for stuck type situations. A RECOVERY strap will have looped ends.

As far as the D rings go (AKA recovery shackles), make sure ya dont go cheap here (dont go cheap on any of this stuff really), make sure to get a properly rated shackle. When a cheap shackle fails it can become a leathal projectile and seriously injure or kill someone.

There are vendors here on tacomaworld that sell lots of quallity stuff. I bought an ARB snatch strap and I swear by it. I read nothing but good things about the ARB and so I got it. With the same purchase I got 2 extra shackles plus a receiver shackle to go in the 2 inch towing receiver.

When it comes to hooking to another vehicle, that will be tricky. If you're ABLE to use a shackle to hook up to them then yeah go for it. But what you hook that shackle TO is whats important. I towed a camry like 3 blocks down the street not long ago and used my snatch strap, the only place I could hook to it on the front was a hole in the frame on the drivers side front (looked like a shipping tie down type hoop). I was able to use a shackle there easily. but each situation will be different. Also be aware in this day and age with everyone being "sue happy". You will want to be really cautious about being a good neighbor and pulling a stranger out of the ditch / median. If you cause any damage you CAN be held liable, so be careful on that.

The last advice I will give you is to not SNATCH with a tow ball. I know sometimes ya just have to...... but them balls arnt built to handle the amount of force snatching can put on em. Just be careful out there.

3. Nov 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    phil217

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Silver Tacoma
    Thanks! What size D rings did you get? I think I am looking for a recovery strap based on your description.

4. Dec 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Sorry it took so long to get back with ya. My shackles are 4 inch I believe. Smitty Built is a decent name there are other MUCH more expensive brands but I cant recall their names at the moment. A "receiver shackle" (it slides into your 2 inch receiver hitch) is nice to have IMO.

Something else too about recovering or towing vehicles (or anything else really). You dont want to PULL in reverse (like hooking up to other things with your front tow hooks and pulling backwards). Sure a light weight pull you could get away with, but pulling backwards puts your front diff under extra stress that its not designed to deal with and stuff could start breaking.

joe25rs likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    I have Smittybilt D-rings (made in China). They do the trick and were much cheaper than others that I looked at. I went on Amazon and got a slightly used shackle (looks brand new) for $10. I got 3/4". It's good to carry an extra D ring around because people definitely aren't prepared as they should be out on the trails. Get a receiver for your trailer hitch (if you have one on your Taco). Like a shackle receiver that you can plug a D-ring into. The OR version Tacos also have a tow hook on the front (not to be confused with the closed loop shipping/transporting hook)

joe25rs likes this.
  6. Dec 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Standard shackles like you would see on an off road bumper would be 3/4" or some like to use 7/8 for added strength. This is not a place to skimp and buy cheap chinese shackles. You can get good CM brand ones off of Ebay for cheap. My 3/4 CM is rated for 14,000lbs vs chinese one at 9000lb. Iron man and ARB straps are great for stuck vehicles. Smitty built makes nice cheaper ones for towing and ligh pulling. A reciever shackle is a great recovery point in the rear. Obviously tow hook in front if possible. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    madcratebuilder and Hamer95USA like this.
  7. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    tonto340

tonto340 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    What is the shelf life of a recovery strap? I have one I bought in 1982 from 4-Wheel Parts. The strap has never been used and has been stored in the original packaging.

8. Dec 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
  9. Dec 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Holy Smokes! Go get stuck ASAP and use that strap!:D

Tac0maSteve likes this.
  10. Dec 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Keeper Stretch-n-Snatch straps have worked great for us!! I'd never buy something else.

11. Dec 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    phil217

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Silver Tacoma
    That helps a lot! Thanks!

12. Jan 10, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    dmccurdy7

dmccurdy7 Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Caldwell, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 6MT ACLB TRD Off Road
  13. Jan 10, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Follow this link: [​IMG]

14. Jan 10, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    dmccurdy7

dmccurdy7 Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Caldwell, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 6MT ACLB TRD Off Road
    Cheaper on Amazon though ^^^

15. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I bought a strap from Wheelers and have to say they shipped quick and helped with any questions I had. I've recommended them to family members.

TacoTronics and YotaDan[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jan 23, 2017 at 9:23 PM
    Inferno_OR

Inferno_OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD OR - Inferno DoubleCab
    stock....for now
    I have only been able to find like 20' recovery straps? Does anyone make shorter ones? Additionally, when using a recovery strap is it best to use a shackle from the hitch receiver instead of the safety loop hooks?

17. Jan 23, 2017 at 10:20 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    20 feet is about as short as I would ever want to buy and I'm ordering a 30 footer to go along with my 20. There was one recovery where I really wished we had a 60 foot strap :) I'm guessing that at ten or fifteen feet it would be hard to get good stretch. But I'm no recovery strap design engineer.

A shackle in the rear receiver is best followed by the OR's front tow hook. The front loop is just a transport tie down point?

YotaDan likes this.
  18. Jan 24, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    You can feed the strap loop into your trailer hitch receiver and use the pin to hold it in place. A receiver shackle would be better since repeatedly using the pin method would probably fray the strap. For shackles I like Van Beest or Warn Epic. The kinetic recovery strap I prefer is an ARB.

I avoid pulling anybody out with my truck in reverse and I don't connect my gear to anything that isn't designed as a recovery point.

19. Jan 24, 2017 at 10:05 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Good advise.

For Inferno OR - because of the way the gears are cut in many differentials, its much easier to overload and ruin a ring gear or even occasionally the pinion while pulling in reverse. I believe our Toyota differentials have that weakness (reverse cut gears??). Somebody with a better memory will have to confirm that. Out of necessity I yanked a vehicle out of a hole in reverse once with a different truck but was as gentle as I could be.

20. Jan 31, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Lots of good information here for the OP. Here is a video where some dangerous clowns get almost everything wrong.

To Top