Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Recovery/Tow Straps

Old 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
phil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud of
Name: Phil
phil217's Tacoma Gallery
Recovery/Tow Straps

I am new to the whole Recovery/Tow strap thing. I wanted topurchase a good strap and have found some good info on the forums (ARB,Wheeler, etc). My question is where do you guys hook up the D rings either tothe back or front of the Tacoma?

Also, If towing someone else out, where would you attach thestrap on the other vehicle? Would you attach another Ring?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
First thing is there is a difference between a tow strap and recovery strap. Youll want to use a tow strap for simple type towing (like on road type use). A recovery strap (AKA snatch strap) is used for stuck vehicles and they are made to give a little stretch to use kenetic energy to help get the stuck vehicle out. Keep in mind a TOW strap will have HOOKS and will not stretch and are dangerous if yanked on for stuck type situations. A RECOVERY strap will have looped ends.

As far as the D rings go (AKA recovery shackles), make sure ya dont go cheap here (dont go cheap on any of this stuff really), make sure to get a properly rated shackle. When a cheap shackle fails it can become a leathal projectile and seriously injure or kill someone.

There are vendors here on tacomaworld that sell lots of quallity stuff. I bought an ARB snatch strap and I swear by it. I read nothing but good things about the ARB and so I got it. With the same purchase I got 2 extra shackles plus a receiver shackle to go in the 2 inch towing receiver.

When it comes to hooking to another vehicle, that will be tricky. If you're ABLE to use a shackle to hook up to them then yeah go for it. But what you hook that shackle TO is whats important. I towed a camry like 3 blocks down the street not long ago and used my snatch strap, the only place I could hook to it on the front was a hole in the frame on the drivers side front (looked like a shipping tie down type hoop). I was able to use a shackle there easily. but each situation will be different. Also be aware in this day and age with everyone being "sue happy". You will want to be really cautious about being a good neighbor and pulling a stranger out of the ditch / median. If you cause any damage you CAN be held liable, so be careful on that.

The last advice I will give you is to not SNATCH with a tow ball. I know sometimes ya just have to...... but them balls arnt built to handle the amount of force snatching can put on em. Just be careful out there.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
phil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud of
phil217's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! What size D rings did you get? I think I am looking for a recovery strap based on your description.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil217 View Post
Thanks! What size D rings did you get? I think I am looking for a recovery strap based on your description.
Sorry it took so long to get back with ya. My shackles are 4 inch I believe. Smitty Built is a decent name there are other MUCH more expensive brands but I cant recall their names at the moment. A "receiver shackle" (it slides into your 2 inch receiver hitch) is nice to have IMO.

Something else too about recovering or towing vehicles (or anything else really). You dont want to PULL in reverse (like hooking up to other things with your front tow hooks and pulling backwards). Sure a light weight pull you could get away with, but pulling backwards puts your front diff under extra stress that its not designed to deal with and stuff could start breaking.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I have Smittybilt D-rings (made in China). They do the trick and were much cheaper than others that I looked at. I went on amazon and got a slightly used shackle (looks brand new) for $10. I got 3/4". It's good to carry an extra D ring around because people definitely aren't prepared as they should be out on the trails. Get a receiver for your trailer hitch (if you have one on your Taco). Like a shackle receiver that you can plug a D-ring into. The OR version Tacos also have a tow hook on the front (not to be confused with the closed loop shipping/transporting hook)
Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Standard shackles like you would see on an off road bumper would be 3/4" or some like to use 7/8 for added strength. This is not a place to skimp and buy cheap chinese shackles. You can get good CM brand ones off of Ebay for cheap. My 3/4 CM is rated for 14,000lbs vs chinese one at 9000lb. Iron man and ARB straps are great for stuck vehicles. Smitty built makes nice cheaper ones for towing and ligh pulling. A reciever shackle is a great recovery point in the rear. Obviously tow hook in front if possible.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
What is the shelf life of a recovery strap? I have one I bought in 1982 from 4-Wheel Parts. The strap has never been used and has been stored in the original packaging.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto340 View Post
What is the shelf life of a recovery strap? I have one I bought in 1982 from 4-Wheel Parts. The strap has never been used and has been stored in the original packaging.
With no direct sunlight or weather elements and being in original package should still be like brand new.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...how-old-is-old
Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto340 View Post
Holy Smokes! Go get stuck ASAP and use that strap!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
phil217's Tacoma Gallery
That helps a lot! Thanks!