Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

2007 Tacoma Double Cab V6 Towing capacity

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
cshep is on a distinguished road
cshep's Tacoma Gallery
2007 Tacoma Double Cab V6 Towing capacity

I'm trying to determine how much I can safely pull. I've see lots in the forum regarding v6's with the towing package but very little for when they don't have it. My vehicles's GVWR=2472kg (5438.4 lbs) which I got the driver's side door. My manual basically breaks towing capacity down into those with the package (6500lbs) and those without (3500lbs). Does this really mean my truck has the same towing capacity of the 4 cyl 4x2 or am I missing something. I would think the v6 could pull more but not as much as the model with the towing package. I'm a carpenter and have carried a number of tools (200lbs) in the back. It seems my springs are getting tired so I may have to add another leaf to the springs. I was thinking of just getting a smaller 6 x10 cargo trailer and emptying the bed but I'm not sure if this is possible. Not looking to tow long distances just from site to site in the city. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ches
Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
In February 1967 the world became a better place!
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
The towing package adds more than just a receiver. It also adds a larger battery, enhanced alternator, transmission and engine oil coolers, and suspension enhancements if I'm not mistaken. Your engine could probably handle more than 3500# but not for long distances.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
cshep is on a distinguished road
cshep's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Rob. I thought I read somewhere that it was cable of pulling closer to 5000 lbs without the towing package but I can't seem to verify this anywhere. I'm looking at a commute of <20 miles daily.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshep View Post
Thanks Rob. I thought I read somewhere that it was cable of pulling closer to 5000 lbs without the towing package but I can't seem to verify this anywhere. I'm looking at a commute of <20 miles daily.
Install a 7-way plug if you don't already have one, put electric brakes on the trailer and you should be fine IMO.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
printman2000 is on a distinguished road
printman2000's Tacoma Gallery
What is the purpose of a larger battery? Recently replaced mine and do not remember towing package as an option for battery size.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #6

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by printman2000 View Post
What is the purpose of a larger battery? Recently replaced mine and do not remember towing package as an option for battery size.
Don't really know why they put a larger battery in there. (For surge in electrical demand when you apply the brakes, maybe.) But Toyota thinks it's necessary, so it must be so.